Cryptocurrency Terminology/Jargon - Bitcoin - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
xBDT Script

Cryptocurrency Terminology/Jargon

Both in stock market and cryptocurrency market, a lot of Terminology or Jargon is used. I will try to shared most of this common terminology here.

1. HODL
Hold On for Dear Life
The word HODL was originated from a bitcoin long term holder who didn't sell bitcoin even when the price was falling massively.

2. FUD
Fear, Uncerainty, Doubt
Spreading bullshit to crash the market.

3. FOMO
Fear of Missing Out
When people see price is increasing significantly, they instantly enter so that they don't miss the bullrun. It creates buzz around.

4. ATH
All time high
Self explanatory

5. Weak Hands
Group of people who can not be patient, sell and get pout from the market when the price decrease a little.

5. Strong Hands
Group of people who don't bother the price decrease, despite they strongly hold the coin, type of HODL.

6. To the moon
A bulish sgnal that the price will increase soon.

7. Whale
Group of people who hold most percent of a coins.

8. Shill
Some kinds of unsolicited vouch for a coin.

9. Pump and dump
A significant price increase which result a significant price decrease as well.

10. Shitcoin

Coins with no real usage, copy crap of others, no expert developer. For some people who only trade bitcoin, all the coins other than BTC are shitcoin.

There are a lot of crypto terminology, I will add more. Please share if you have some.

Edited by xBDT Script
  • Useful or interesting 4

22 hours ago, xBDT Script said:

2. FUD
Fear, Uncerainty, Doubt
Spreading bullshit to crash the market.

Lol... this one made me laugh. I like this list. It's very useful. There are some terms that I wasn't aware of that I've wondered about - or to some extent kind of figured out based on the context around them.

Click to get free Crypto from the best faucets:
Bicoin, Ethereum, Monero, DogeBytecoin, Digibyte, Steem, Tron, Verge, Siacoin

1 hour ago, Awaremooner said:

HODL was actually derived from HOLD spelled the wrong way. 

It was not wrong spelling, he intentionally written the word as HODL.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will update the topic with the new terminology.

Just now, williamz902 said:

Lol... this one made me laugh. I like this list. It's very useful. There are some terms that I wasn't aware of that I've wondered about - or to some extent kind of figured out based on the context around them.

There are some more terminology but I have added the interesting and more commonly used words, check back later and you will earn some more as well.

22 hours ago, xBDT Script said:

Both in stock market and cryptocurrency market, a lot of Terminology or Jargon is used. I will try to shared most of this common terminology here.

There are a lot of crypto terminology, I will add more. Please share if you have some.

Dear sir... you are missing one important term called - shitcoin 😂
Maybe you can find proper definition for this term

Few more can be added Bitcoin Whale, Bull and Bear

Edited by hexwin
  • Useful or interesting 1

Just now, Awaremooner said:

I have been made to believe it came as a result of spelling HOLD wrongly but again, I noticed you are sure and I can go with you now because you even gave full meaning of HODL. If you are teachable, you always learn new things from this forum daily. Thanks for the correction. Waiting for the new crypto terminologies you will write here

I think you are not a member of bitcointalk. The HODL word was created in that forum. I have shared the link of that topic below. At the beginning of the topic he said about the wrong spelling.

I will update the topic tomorrow morning.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375643.0 - I AM HODLING

I am a member of bitcointalk till my IP was labeled an evil IP since then, I can only read through the forum but barred from making comments. It was recently based on advise here that I opened another account.

It will be off topic here though, you can pay a little fee so that you can post as well, I think the fee will not be much.

Thanks for sharing the link too. So good to have you here 

Glad that it could help you. I am a very much active forum user, have spent a lot of times there. I know each of the corner there 😁

You talked about very simple terms of cryptocurrency in General, and I thought that the article will be jargon for bitcoin. Russian Russian as I understand the Russian language, I know about some Russian words by type, bitok, but so far it is the only word.

There is a technical term in crypto world which seems clear and easy to understand on the surface but is rather confusing. I am referring to the term USDT. When we want to check the price of every coin in exchange websites like Binance we see the word USDT next to each coin. I searched about it on Google and found that USDT is quite different from USD. It is a pegged cryptocurrency that belongs to Tether. What do they mean by pegged?

Why they don't write BTC - USD instead of BTC - USDT?

Why people buy Tether if it is a stable coin? Does it have any other benefits except value storage?

It is said that Tether maintains one to one ratio with USD but can't be exchanged for USD. Why?

I alwaws think bitcoin HODL and bitcoin HOLD ere the same words but I don't know why they are different word but they all used in one place can anyone tell me the different between this two words that's is HOLD and HODL.

5 hours ago, Lubruselu said:

I alwaws think bitcoin HODL and bitcoin HOLD ere the same words but I don't know why they are different word but they all used in one place can anyone tell me the different between this two words that's is HOLD and HODL.

HODL stands for Hold for Dear Life. As far as I know, this term is only used in crypto world by crypto enthusiasts. It is a little different from the word HOLD because HOLD only refers to holding your coins for the long term investment but HODL refers to strength of a crypto trader. It means that a professional crypto trader should tolerate the positive and negative effects of unstable crypto market and should not sell his/her coins too soon no matter how extreme the price volatility is. HODL is not only about bitcoin and can be used for any coin that is bought for long term holding (investing). I hope you understand the difference between these two terms now.

Edited by Brushless4500KV

спасибо автору за годный контент.никогда не слышал раньше об этих терминах.скопировал в папку теперь буду изучать их.

https://seobon.us/1869284593-бот который платит щедро за участие в ежедневном розыгрыше.

https://cashbox.ru/r/bf3d937a5094498ea685fc8449d6c0fa-букс с щедрой оплатой за простые действия в соц сетях.

https://adbtc.top/r/l/2319521-букс с оплатой в btc
https://donkeyloot.io/?r=XPHOCF-улетная NFT игра с возможностью заработка крипты

foreign slang everyone already knows and it is in the public domain, I can write a few words about Russian slang - cryptan (a person engaged in cryptocurrency), bitoк(bitcoin), bottom (bottom of the market).

I thought you included all the descriptions, thank you it was a useful topic, and I enjoyed reading these expressions, some of which I had never heard of before.

The best part in this Crypto terminologies is that, it's not of a standard group which come up with this term, as basically if you can make up a term which if course is related on the way the Crypto market has gone then it can be widely taken

These are terms specific to cryptocurrencies, and anyone working in this field has to know this to understand what it means while reading it on forums and some videos.

THINK POSITIVE

I like some terms about cryptocurrencies, I like the whales and I wish to be one in future. It will be great to be one. I like the bull run too. 

Thank you for sharing this big information useful and helpful, there are many things on this cryptocurrency we dont know yet, and today I have have take many notes about because of your topic, thanks.

468x60.gif.2f5be3d8fc5caf83e400a2cd4d4ca105.gif

Thanks for sharing the terminology. These are familiar terms. Those are the terms and concepts that are mentioned a lot. newbies will be surprised, but very soon they will catch on. In addition, the term "halved" is also important.

wow this is Quiye a whole packed tone of information innine single article, thumbs up for this very post of yiurs it just way too much for me to comprehend and memories all of these terminologterminologies Currently I would simply probably just take sime screen shot for later

We always find that the abbreviated terminology is present in many posts and it is very important to know these terms so that members can understand the comment and comment on it well Thank you my friend

BetFury                                                   

🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹

Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                 

1 minute ago, GanDuba said:

When I started reading crypto news and about crypto, I find it hard for me because of this terminologies, but now is good as I see it more easy to go through crypto articles and write ups. 

ah swaear 😂 see lol likewise it actually was the same thing to me that was totally the situation i was in, even currently i still do not understand some terminologies when reading trough some post and comments here so i always have to use google search to know them

These are not new terms, they are the most basic concepts in the cryptocurrency world. Anyone who wants to work here definitely knows these concepts. Thank you for the post. New people are sure to be surprised by this.

These terms abbreviate a big concept used in the field of cryptocurrencies to show something like a coin without value or interest called shitcoin

Life is great and enjoy it