Is Altcoin and Crypto the same? Here is the anwer! - Page 11 - Coins / Tokens Talk - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
teminalibug

Is Altcoin and Crypto the same? Here is the anwer!

Cryptocurrency I think it's a general term referring to all coins available on the crypto market while as altcoins is every coin that came after bitcoin's creation,that's how I understand these terms.

• +1 1

1 hour ago, George10 said:

Cryptocurrency I think it's a general term referring to all coins available on the crypto market while as altcoins is every coin that came after bitcoin's creation,that's how I understand these terms.

@George10 yah lil bit like so that altcoin mean alternative coin of bitcoin..  Many project developer thought that they should make a coin Which price can over come btc price and for this reason first they created litecoin altcoin in 2011 first time to over come btc..  But they cant see any change on litecoin price like bitcoin...  Its mean altcoin made for opposite of bitcoin..           

To my own understanding i know that altcoins are other crypto currencies that werw launched after the success of bitcoin basically they sell themselves as better alternatives to bitcoin.

I do not have any idea about this topic, but by reading the comments, I found that you have a right to the information that you provided to us, so we must search for every information that we did not find a solution for in order to continue in this field because every day it needs to learn more.

On 11/7/2020 at 12:54 PM, Hasnat said:

Altcoin and bitcoin both are crypto currency. btc was the first crypto after creation btc in crypto wolrd new alt coin started their journey.

What if a coin (alternaive) becomes the cryptocurrency number 1, then can BTC become an altcoin? or it's already fixed that "any currency other than btc is altcoin"? do you have any information about this?

How can altcoin and bitcoin be the same, because the marketcap of bitcoin is more than that whole altcoins, bitcoin is regarded as bitcoin while all other cryptocurrencies are regarded as altcoins. 

I was also confuse with the altcoin term in the start as I am thought it was meant for very lower capped coins and not for Ethereum, Litecoin, XRP, Tether and the rest big ones, but I was wrong. It is for all the cryptocurrency except Bitcoin. This term is making some crypto mean less but it is how it was made and we can not change it.

• Useful or interesting 1

It is confusing to understand exactly what these terms mean when you are a beginner. Cryptocurrencies are everything that use cryptography and they can even be centralized coins or not running on blockchain.

Altcoins are also everything but excluded Bitcoin.

• +2 1

Crypto is used instead of cryptocurrencies. It has everything included from Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, XRP all the way to the worst ERC20 tokens. All these are cryptocurrencies. Altcoins are all the same but not Bitcoin. We have Bitcoin and the rest are all altcoins.

This is for beginners and should be in the beginners section but perhaps here it is worth too. Since the beginning it was only Bitcoin. Because of the cryptographic science it contains it was called a cryptocurrency. So Bitcoin was the first crypto. Then more appeared and were called altcoins.

• +3 1

You have given the perfect description. Altcoins can be created from scratch of course but many developers, perhaps being lazy just forked from Bitcoin, or from some other fork of Bitcoin. In fact even the ones that are not forked have a large part based on Bitcoin and some have just copied most of the code.

• +3 1

The term you need to know is altcoins that it means anything else besides Bitcoin. All are cryptocurrencies bitcoin included. But Ethereum, Litecoin, XRP and all the rest except Bitcoin are altcoins.

Good answer and useful extra information about the set of rules Bitcoin follows that is the consensus rules. Indeed some altcoins adopted the same consensus rules but they changed them a little just to be different and not 100% the same software like Bitcoin. Litecoin increased the speed of block production.

• +3 1

Yes you are correct. Thanks for reminding me. In fact as a beginner I was really confused too and this post would have cleared all for me and made it easier. I had the idea that altcoins weren't cryptocurrencies but a different division of digital coins but I learned that after a few days in crypto.

• +3 1

I think cryptocurrency covers all coins, bitcoins and tokens that are on coinmarketcap. Meanwhile, altcoins are an alternative to bitcoin, so besides bitcoin other coins are commonly referred to as altcoins. These are basically the same but there are some differences that should be explained to beginners about altcoins.

• +1 1

Finding the identity of the inventor of Bitcoin today is the same as finding the identity of the inventor of the magazine. The record of the transaction is considered to be the permanent record of the history of the whole transaction, this is called blockchain. Bitcoin and crypto are similar.

I don't think there is much difference between a bitcoin and a gold coin. There is a difference between the price and demand of parts and market demand. For example, many people think that Bitcoin is a long-term process, Altcoin is a short-term process, but no, Altcoin is the right choice for a short-term process, but some atline is a good process, you can do a long-term process, otherwise we cannot trade or invest without our market. . There is no other money.

Bitcoin and altcoins are not the same as many members on this forum may not have got its especially by novice in the crypto world. Bitcoin has originally inspired so many altcoins to evolve like Litecoin, BCH, ETH, etc. You can see so many altcoins in the cryptocurrency markets. Some of them are useless and shitcoins. 

• +3 1

Dear friend altcoins is the type of crypto currency. It is like as dollars,yen or as other different types of traditional currencies. But the crypto currency is known as digital assets which is also known for medium exchange.Crypto currencies are important and these digital assets are built on cryptography. It is very simple difference between altcoins and crypto currency .

2 hours ago, Whited35 said:

Bitcoin and altcoins are not the same as many members on this forum may not have got its especially by novice in the crypto world. Bitcoin has originally inspired so many altcoins to evolve like Litecoin, BCH, ETH, etc. You can see so many altcoins in the cryptocurrency markets. Some of them are useless and shitcoins. 

Yes sir, when the bitcoin meets the successful, many coins are being released like ETH, that's why many altcoins are just depending to the bitcoin in terms of its price. 

2 hours ago, Whited35 said:

You can see so many altcoins in the cryptocurrency markets. Some of them are useless and shitcoins. 

Depends on this, some shit coins are not depending on bitcoin, this dead coins or shit coins are just made for tripping's.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:47 PM, masterfocus said:

For me, altcoins are every coin other than bitcoin and bitcoin.. well.. is itself.. xD

Yah like it says the alt in alt-coins stands for alternative means alternative coins, it means they are alternatives to bitcoin that is why bitcoin is excluded.

I didn't even know the difference between Altcoin and Crypto.  Your post is useful for me and I found out through this post. But it is true that both are one. However, there is a difference in the name. 

Digital coins are also known as cryptocurrencies. Owing to the extensive use of cryptographic protocols intergrated in their framework, they took the term crypto from cryptography. Bitcoin is based on the SHA256 cryptography, which includes consensus and hashcash.

• +3 1

In my point of view bitcoin is above of all the coins which are in the market and some are stable and some are not . but bitcoin is the best in all over the world . altcoin is also the good currency but no is equall to bitcoin .

Dear, the difference between these two terms is very clear and not confusing at all, as the queen currency, like the Bitcoin currency, is a major currency in which the sub-currencies are linked and it has its own sending and receiving network such as the Ethereum currency, Bitcoin and others, and the other term is altcoin.  Thank you so much

• +2 1