Someone just lost 1400 BTC because of phishing during wallet update. - Page 3 - Crypto World - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
rekter

Someone just lost 1400 BTC because of phishing during wallet update.

20 minutes ago, cryptovlek said:

I've read about this and I don't know if I should trust Electrum. While there is a tendency by bitcoin people in another forum to always recommend Electrum they all know that a ledger or a trezor is more secure. I'd recommend one of these as you will have better support too.

You can't really even compare those. Electrum is a software wallet while ledger and trezor are hardware wallets. Of course hardware wallets are more secure in lots of ways.

• Useful or interesting 1
  • +1 1

A big loss, 1400 Bitcoin, I cannot describe this loss, he must have suffered a lot because he lost this irreplaceable amount of Bitcoin, we must beware of phishing that has increased recently and educate the cryptocurrency community about it because it has become one of the most common scam methods.

Just thinking about it and the money that was lost will make you feel pain even if the money is not yours, this is very sad to lose this large amount of money and everyone should take the news as a lesson.

• Useful or interesting 2

On 10/13/2020 at 5:55 PM, Kapil Koirala said:

1400 bitcoins lost in a flash. That's a lot of money . I also think the bitcoin owner was not taking any measures to prevent from being scammed. There are so many phishing sites available that we get confused which one is real an which is not so it is very recommended to bookmark the real site for using it futher.

I don't know if any bookmark would have help in this case if he was cliking popup inside the wallet-

On 10/13/2020 at 7:58 PM, iloveyobit said:

Just thinking about it and the money that was lost will make you feel pain even if the money is not yours, this is very sad to lose this large amount of money and everyone should take the news as a lesson.

After a certain amount i can't put myself to someone's shoes. I lose all sense of relativity in money when we are starting to talk about hundreds of thousands, or even millions of someone's personal money.

• +3 1

In the world of cryptocurrency scams, phisihing, that is, the original page spoofing by a false web page, this is used by cyber space criminals to steal money from entrepreneurs and investors, creating pages identical to the original ones and if one cannot identify these fake pages is scammed. All kinds of precautions must be taken to identify fake pages. These scams in the crypto world is a serious fact that harms the world of cryptocurrencies.

This is very sad! Because I believe that in recent years, there are a lot of scammers in our world who harm us in every possible way and steal our funds. This may have a bad effect in the future, even though it is now , like a needle in the wheel, pushing for a decisive step. We need to fight the scammers somehow, and I think this is the solution!

• +2 1

Electrum had this vulneratility in an older version allowing an update phising message to appear and the update was connected to scammers that were stealing coins. This exploit has profited the scammers with more than this 1400 bitcoin, if I remember correctly 1800 until recently. 

On 8/30/2020 at 7:30 PM, rekter said:

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/5072#issuecomment-683356052

User is saying that he haven't accessed the wallet since 2017. Now old Electrum wallets were susceptible to phishing, and new versions should always be loaded trough the original site, not trough the wallet popups suggesting an update.

1400 btc is a lot of money, but anyone not storing that much in a cold wallet probably have way more as they weren't doing enough precautions.

This is very sad. I hope he manages to get his money back.
  • +3 1

I feel very bad about this, I wish this person is alright and perhaps find a way to get his lost Bitcoin back. This number is many millions of dollars and losing this will be a big blow. But probably he has many more and will survive.

25 minutes ago, yonkii said:

I feel very bad about this, I wish this person is alright and perhaps find a way to get his lost Bitcoin back. This number is many millions of dollars and losing this will be a big blow. But probably he has many more and will survive.

Only way to get his bitcoins back is if someone will track those criminals down and get them back from them, or CEX will freeze their assets when they try to cash out and give them back to the owner.

yeah is sad story, beware there many hacker doing some phising and spread malware which imposted app, you can lose your fund you need to be aware.

Hello, I feel sorry for this person, 1400 btc is a lot of money, too much, I ask in these cases that BTC disappears from a wallet or an exchange, is there a way to overcome it? Can you start a claim?

It is sad, but I wonder why keep this large amount of bitcoins in this type of wallet, when it is advisable to acquire a hardware wallet to safeguard your investment. He made a serious mistake. Well, we have to learn from these experiences.

it is possible that someone have passed KYC or scammers, don't easily trust people on internet and choose the most secured wallet

• +1 1

On 10/18/2020 at 5:54 PM, Ecoloco2020 said:

Hello, I feel sorry for this person, 1400 btc is a lot of money, too much, I ask in these cases that BTC disappears from a wallet or an exchange, is there a way to overcome it? Can you start a claim?

If they are gone from the personal wallet, there's nothing much you could do. I mean who would you contact to if you  wanted to claim something? 

8 hours ago, Rosarvx said:

it is possible that someone have passed KYC or scammers, don't easily trust people on internet and choose the most secured wallet

I am sorry i don't understand you. Are you asking something or telling me? 

A big loss, but the Electrum developers had previously announced that the old versions were phishing and dangerous to use, so we can only say that its loss was due to negligence.

• +1 1

It is a big lost and what the person were doing now. Has he/she is doing nothing for it. But this is a biggest amount which he/she has lost.

I am cold storage wallet user but keep track of news regularly and I have fresh mh wallet. Now I am planning to buy ledger Nano for usage it's secure and easily move anywhere. The best way to secure your assets is cold storage ans spending money on this is a good thing. It's a really bad news for user who have lost good amount of BTC, he would be a millionaire if he could access the wallet. Their for never leave your assets for long time in cold storage wallets. 

Now that is what you call - A MAJOR BUMMER !!!!!!!!!!! OUCH !!!!!!!!! Sounds like something Homer Simpson would do. I dont know how true that is. I have a hard time believing that somebody had so much money & they had neglected it for so many yrs. I know there are rich people in the world but that is just plain stupid to not have so much money secured.

About a hack into the wallet, I sure do believe. Especially if your on any Windows OS. There have been phishing updates for Win, looking for wallets downloaded on users machines. What happens, you download the false update, a backdoor is created into your wallet or the keys / pw are found. Then they remotely access your computer & steal all you coins. Its happened to many wallets, including Exodus.

Im happy to be a Mac Head...........

• +4 1

Earn Free Bit-Coins. Every hour you can win up to $200 USD in BTC.

https://freebitco.in/?r=41529082

1100388917_FreeBitco_in3.png.3817f1e8269d8e972cacf1276f358331.png

I do not think that such thing is accident or incident it is a well planned robbery ... the man is wrong to leave this huge amount of money in a regular wallet and not move it into a cold wallet but it is not necessary that he has more of it as you suggest ... it might be ignorance of his side that made him unaware of the importance of moving it to a safer place... the poor guy.

• +2 1

On 8/30/2020 at 12:30 PM, rekter said:

User is saying that he haven't accessed the wallet since 2017. Now old Electrum wallets were susceptible to phishing, and new versions should always be loaded trough the original site, not trough the wallet popups suggesting an update.

1400 btc is a lot of money, but anyone not storing that much in a cold wallet probably have way more as they weren't doing enough precautions.

Incredible and unfortunate these things, that person must be sad for a long time since it is too much money in BTC, let's hope and these things can be avoided in the future since it is something difficult to solve.

• +2 1

On 12/31/2020 at 7:00 PM, mhmd7 said:

It is a really big disaster to lose your money because of a simple mistake, especially since the petroleum may rise many times indeed. We must work with caution when working.

It might be a simple mistake, but it would really cost you a lot of just for a simple mistake. But that is why it's important for us to be aware of things that scammers do. If we don't have any knowledge about their schemes, then lots of people will prolly fall to their traps.

Not gonna lie but thats alot of money and time progress lost right there like literally that hurts so much and this small mistake became a big deal one in which this guy is so very unlucky and this might even his worst encounter.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:30 PM, rekter said:

I also know about this news and this is really very sad and I also heard that people are using this wallet and losing their amount so I should prefer that never use this wallet and always select that wallet in which your money is safe .

These things are very, very sad because it is a lot of money lost, therefore it is good to always have a lot of support for everything because one can never know what will happen.

• +2 1