Scammers by phone transport - Crypto World - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
SuperCrypto

Scammers by phone transport

Telephony is one of the most popular scams by which individual investors and speculators in the crypto field are defrauded. It includes an attacker who summons the target phone service provider and uses social engineering to access his account. From there, they transfer the victim's phone number to the SIM card they control, then they can control the phone number.
Once the attacker has the phone number in his control, he can begin resetting passwords that rely on two-factor authentication, such as email and crypto-exchange accounts.
Fighting this attack after transferring your phone number is very difficult, especially since everything can happen before you know it happened.

Has any of you been exposed to this kind of fraud?

• Useful or interesting 15
  • +1 7
  • +2 6
  • +3 3
  • +4 1
  • +5 2

11 hours ago, SuperCrypto said:

Luckily, not yet. Though we are all vulnerable once we became a target.

I think the term 'phone transport' isn't the best term to describe the theft, but rather 'SIM Swap' would be better.

In simple terms for other readers here, what OP had meant is:

1. Hackers gather basic information of the victim.

2. They would go to his SIM provider and asks for a new SIM with the same number as the victim's, and would reason out (like it has been stolen or something).

3. Once they got the new SIM and has been activated, the victim's SIM would be deactivated.

4. All connected accounts of the victim to his mobile number, would be accessible by the hacker, and this is where the theft would be made.

The problem here lies on the SIM provider. They must not allow anyone to request a new SIM, other than the person himself, or his validated relative.

• Useful or interesting 1
  • +1 1
  • +2 1

I have never experienced this. But many cases that occur lately are caused by scammers. They use telephones as their means to start their work. Your personal data is the main target.

• +3 1

15 hours ago, aamir shamim said:

Yes,recently in India.due to Sim swap scammer looted two million dollar from a businessmen.it got in to his account and did verification for transportation from the SMS on his device.it is very dangerous thing 

I know one of the women was subjected to a telephone fraud, and she says: I received an anonymous phone call that told me that he works for a telecom service provider, blessing me for winning a prize money, he asked me for a credit card number. He told me that the prize to be paid must be paid a fee. So he gave me the number of a person to send money to him through an exchange office and at the last moment I discovered the trick.

• +1 2
  • +2 1

17 hours ago, SuperCrypto said:

Telephony is one of the most popular scams by which individual investors and speculators in the crypto field are defrauded. It includes an attacker who summons the target phone service provider and uses social engineering to access his account. From there, they transfer the victim's phone number to the SIM card they control, then they can control the phone number.
Once the attacker has the phone number in his control, he can begin resetting passwords that rely on two-factor authentication, such as email and crypto-exchange accounts.
Fighting this attack after transferring your phone number is very difficult, especially since everything can happen before you know it happened.

I've read about sim-swap scams before and hackers managing to steal large amounts of crypto stored in mobile wallets. 

https://www.newsbtc.com/2019/11/14/cryptocurrency-sim-swapping-scammers-charged-by-us-department-of-justice/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_swap_scam

I own a small amount of crypto and only hold about 1$ of litecoin in my mobile wallet so I won't lose anything if it happens to me. Still I wouldn't have more than 100$ in mobile wallet because of this risk.

I experienced it sometimes in my social media sites but thanks for my authenticator it sends some codes that help to recover or avoid the hacking techniques.

• -1 1

6 hours ago, PiroSense said:

The problem here lies on the SIM provider. They must not allow anyone to request a new SIM, other than the person himself, or his validated relative.

Yes, in fact, in theory, all brands and models of mobile phones are open to attack as the vulnerability is related to technology embedded in the SIM cards, mobile operators cannot rely on standard fixed defenses.

• +2 1

Perhaps this is something new to me and I have never encountered anything similar to this, I guess this is a fair warning to everyone especially to those who are still starting. 

• +1 1

Phone scandal is currently a cycle of new hackers, it is damaging people financially and hacking in many ways the owners of the phone and they are hiding behind everyone.

Edited by Taposh23

I was subjected to some hacks, but not of this type, and that was because I registered with my information on one of the sites that claim to be investment, but it was registration and data collection sites for the hack.
As well as by using crack and patch
But no one will be able to enter you if you don't allow it and take the final step

• +3 1

THINK POSITIVE

22 hours ago, bentayebsalah said:

I was subjected to some hacks, but not of this type, and that was because I registered with my information on one of the sites that claim to be investment, but it was registration and data collection sites for the hack.
As well as by using crack and patch
But no one will be able to enter you if you don't allow it and take the final step

You must keep your personal details safe. Lock your mailbox and tear your bills and other important documents before throwing them away. Keep your passwords and secret numbers in a safe place. Be very careful regarding the amount of personal information that you share on social media.

• +1 1

Right now i dont face this kind of scams yet, and i hope in the future i wont face this. why scammers does this thing, they are heartless, stealing peoples money.

• +4 1

On 12/29/2019 at 2:18 PM, Silvinator said:

I have not been in that situation but I have friends who have been victims of this. They steal social media accounts and then from there they start sending messages to all contacts to scam them and unfortunately many fall into that.

• +2 1

17 hours ago, Silvinator said:

Yes. Unfortunately it usually happens that way. Many people have been victims of these cyber attacks and do not realize until they steal their money or when they have already scammed their friends with that account. You have to be very careful of passwords and all our security settings.

Also, there are cases of fraud, telephone fraud, and delusions of victims with financial rewards. As one of the Filipino women explained how she was subjected to a telephone fraud and fraud, during which 4000 dirhams were stolen from her bank account.

Because of the scams caused by transport on the phone many times we have a lot of viruses in the phone so I think transportation on the phone is a scam.

On 12/24/2019 at 1:29 AM, SuperCrypto said:

Never,and i hope i won't experienced that. Its so scary now, everything can be possible for those people who wants to earn money through bad ways. They are so smart now especially using technologies just to fool people. Even how we want it to be safe they still find ways. Keep safe everyone!

I think thieves are getting more and more powerful at the present time, and the reason behind this is that stand-up technology is advancing itself and training itself and all of those aspectsThey are inventing new images to trick people into becoming one of the problems in the online world today

7 hours ago, Ms.o said:

Never,and i hope i won't experienced that. Its so scary now, everything can be possible for those people who wants to earn money through bad ways. They are so smart now especially using technologies just to fool people. Even how we want it to be safe they still find ways. Keep safe everyone!

Be careful when you receive a message that promises to win cash prizes. Scams target people of all backgrounds, ages, and income levels. Everyone is vulnerable to fraud, so everyone needs information on how to identify and avoid them.

23 hours ago, yoasswbi21 said:

In my opinion, phone fraud is very common, fraudsters do this, they steal and hack our coins for profit.

We must know that there are many methods used by fraudsters, such as social engineering, which is by communicating with people, by phone, or through social media, and these conversations may develop into stages through which the fraudster can obtain funds.

• Useful or interesting 1

10 hours ago, babaji said:

That is some really scary sh*t you mentioned. As scammers get more and more efficient, we the victims also have evolve new ways to defeat the scammer.

Yes, I advise you when purchasing on the Internet to use reliable electronic banks for payment such as Paypal or Stripe instead of depositing your card number in sites that may be fraudulent at times.

This is the first time I heard about this Technic  of scammers, but I think they can do that but they start send you a message through email or media social then they will ask you the phone number or they can find your phone to try convince you by phone if you offer you anything.

468x60.gif.2f5be3d8fc5caf83e400a2cd4d4ca105.gif

On 1/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, Aliyu Suleiman said:

I will just advise you to stay off any untrusted Communication from anyone because scammers have many tactics in which thy can dupe Users 

Despite all this enthusiasm and development in the field of digital currencies, it is, unfortunately, still a synonym for piracy, fraud and theft. Cryptoaware.org reports that at least $ 2.3 billion has been lost due to fraud and piracy of digital currencies.

• +1 1

On 1/8/2020 at 4:12 AM, xpertt said:

Luckily, I don't still encounter any kinds of fraud or scamming on the internet, I think I prevent that from happening to me because I secure my account properly and I have enough knowledge about what is happening if your account is hacked, scammed or something like that.

Many of us may be exposed to the monument via the Internet and fall into the trap of fraudsters through his mobile phone .. So you should educate yourself as much as possible about all these monument methods and know how to prevent them .. So my friend does not know where the blow can come from you!

• +3 1

10 hours ago, JamesMark said:

I have not been hacked so. Maybe my phone number is not valid for hackers. I just met a person who pretended to be an operator and was intentionally exploiting my bank information or personal information.

And fraud by exchanging a SIM swap or a SIM card is a type of identity theft that exploits the biggest weakness of SIM cards, which is called "platform agnosticism," said Andrew Bleach, a security researcher at Lookout: "It is the way hackers try to access To the contacts made from the victim's cell phone. ”

• +2 1