What is the usecase for Reputation? - About Forum - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
cBenton92

What is the usecase for Reputation?

I have seen that forum ranks are based on post counts, I also went to post on that thread asking about this but it was closed so couldn't reply. What is the use of the reputation points? do they affect ranks? Do they do anything at all apart from show who posts useless posts for satoshis and people that actually post good content and try help people lol.

• Useful or interesting 11
  • +1 9
  • +2 3
  • +3 3
  • +4 1
  • +5 1

Ranks are really just for bragging rights in my opinion, just to tell members who's been around longer than other members and stuff like that.  They don't really have any other purpose that I can see, and ranks definitely shouldn't be confused with something like trustworthiness or reputation. 

Take a look at BCT for example, where even high ranked members can turn out to be total scammers.  If this forum ever gets started in things like trading, people ought to be aware of that, the fact that being a senior member of a chat forum doesn't mean a thing as far as how trustworthy you are.

• Useful or interesting 6
  • +1 3
  • +2 1
  • +3 2

3 minutes ago, Pearls Before Swine said:

Ranks are really just for bragging rights in my opinion, just to tell members who's been around longer than other members and stuff like that.  They don't really have any other purpose that I can see, and ranks definitely shouldn't be confused with something like trustworthiness or reputation. 

Take a look at BCT for example, where even high ranked members can turn out to be total scammers.  If this forum ever gets started in things like trading, people ought to be aware of that, the fact that being a senior member of a chat forum doesn't mean a thing as far as how trustworthy you are.

Yeah I know that the ranks aren't worth anything right now. However when the bounties pick up on this forum and become worth doing, they should make the ranks worth something. Like in BCT you have restrictions on your signature in the lower ranks etc. Therefore higher members in the forums get more from the bounty programme. I totally agreed with this method as people worked hard helping others and posting to earn those rankings. Don't you think?

• Useful or interesting 2
  • +2 1

Reputation points show how much your topics are useful in this forum, until now there is no extra bonus when you get high reputation points, but maybe in the future the admins will add something good about this 

• Useful or interesting 1
  • +1 4
  • +2 2
  • +3 2

Yeah well they should make it that you need a certain amount of rep points to go up in forum ranks. then make signature restrictions based on your rank. just like BCT, I liked that setup.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:31 AM, cBenton92 said:

I have seen that forum ranks are based on post counts, I also went to post on that thread asking about this but it was closed so couldn't reply. What is the use of the reputation points? do they affect ranks? Do they do anything at all apart from show who posts useless posts for satoshis and people that actually post good content and try help people lol.

Well, there's nothing the reputation can do. It's just like an indication that a member that has a lot of reputation means he/she is an excellent contributor and many members like he/she's post or reply and even in the topic. But honestly? For me I don't believe much in this, because as you can notice you can easily give it, so I think maybe there's a member that only get their reputation post via friends or something they knew and also working here and they can exchange reputation points well, I'm not generalizing, but it's a little bit off that it can be given quickly.

• +1 2
  • +2 1

5 minutes ago, gigabyteRTX said:

Well, there's nothing the reputation can do. It's just like an indication that a member that has a lot of reputation means he/she is an excellent contributor and many members like he/she's post or reply and even in the topic. But honestly? For me I don't believe much in this, because as you can notice you can easily give it, so I think maybe there's a member that only get their reputation post via friends or something they knew and also working here and they can exchange reputation points well, I'm not generalizing, but it's a little bit off that it can be given quickly.

They can also restrict how easily you can give out positive reactions or cap the amount of times you can react on someones posts.

• +4 1

It expresses the credibility and activity of the account holder, the higher the number of your useful posts and the more members you have , the more reputation points you will get. This will help you in the future.

• +1 2

1 hour ago, iloveyobit said:

It expresses the credibility and activity of the account holder, the higher the number of your useful posts and the more members you have , the more reputation points you will get. This will help you in the future.

yeah but that's what I was wanting to find out, how does it help? I do think it should affect if you rank up or not.

6 minutes ago, cBenton92 said:

yeah but that's what I was wanting to find out, how does it help? I do think it should affect if you rank up or not.

Otherwise, it does not affect your ranking, you can do 100 responses and get 100 points of reputation. You can also say 1000 responses and get 10 points of reputation, the rest I explained above.

On 12/19/2019 at 6:31 AM, cBenton92 said:

It is a way to show your appreciation for a useful post or spam post. You can see at the leaderboard section and see how the reputation system being used, at least for now, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, lucky80 said:

It is a way to show your appreciation for a useful post or spam post. You can see at the leaderboard section and see how the reputation system being used, at least for now, IMO. 

I think that a leader board is a good idea, resetting every month or something and 1st to 3rd gets Satoshi rewards or something?

1 minute ago, cBenton92 said:

I think that a leader board is a good idea, resetting every month or something and 1st to 3rd gets Satoshi rewards or something?

Leaderboard is not a new idea. It is already there when the forum is published. However, you can't decide a winner based on reputation count. This will lead to the massive abuse of the reputation system. You need to think about a new idea about how to choose a winner without the reputation system.

2 minutes ago, lucky80 said:

Leaderboard is not a new idea. It is already there when the forum is published. However, you can't decide a winner based on reputation count. This will lead to the massive abuse of the reputation system. You need to think about a new idea about how to choose a winner without the reputation system.

I definitely think they should restrict reputation giving a lot more though, making them more important to give and receive, don't you think?

2 hours ago, cBenton92 said:

They can also restrict how easily you can give out positive reactions or cap the amount of times you can react on someones posts.

Yes, that would be nice too, or if possible, they can upgrade the reputation system more like change it to a greater system or add a new system, for example, merit in bitcointalk something like that.

7 minutes ago, gigabyteRTX said:

Yes, that would be nice too, or if possible, they can upgrade the reputation system more like change it to a greater system or add a new system, for example, merit in bitcointalk something like that.

I don't think we should totally copy what they do over at BCT, however they have a solid ranking system that allows bigger members to make more via bounties etc.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:31 AM, cBenton92 said:

What is the use of the reputation points?

As of now, they do not affect the rank. The rank is solely based on your number of posts (which is kind of unreliable).

Just don't abuse the system to your advantage. Give reputation to those posts that truly deserve it, and not just because one person is your friend.

Read more here: https://cryptotalk.org/topic/5327-forum-ranks/

On 12/21/2019 at 7:59 AM, cBenton92 said:

I definitely think they should restrict reputation giving a lot more though, making them more important to give and receive, don't you think?

What do you mean, mate? Do you mean the reputation limit? We do have a limit. You can give 5 reputations per day. Otherwise, there will be chaos.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:30 PM, Lucky14 said:

I think as for the main time reputation doesn't add anything rather than showing how many useful post you've made but maybe in the future there will be a reward  for it  

I agree with your opinion that at the beginning of time a reputation does not show anything because it only shows how much the results of posts that are of good value and benefit in each post making so that you will be paid with something good that will benefit greatly from it all. 

I think. usecase for Reputation is only to signify a member whose posts are much liked by other members, and will not affect the ranking of members or payment.

Member rank depend on the number of post .a member who have maximum number of post his rank will be promoted.buy i do not know the benefits of reputation?please tell me someone the usecase of reputation.

5 hours ago, faisalkhabirr said:

Hi there i would like to tell you that forum ranks and the forum reputation are completely two different things. They are not connected with each other. The reputation is the thing you know but the ranks provides the information how much experienced you are

Yeah I do know this, I was just making this post to see if there was ANY usecase for the reputation points but as people have said here, there isn't as of yet.

Hello my friend
According to my information, the reputation granted by the forum users to the owner of the topic after they liked the post

For me I think this Reputation points is the way you comment to the other people. If this is high maybe you informative person and usually have a good content while low or sometimes a negative one, maybe that comment or account is a spam bot.

• +1 1