What is the difference between Private Key and Seed Phrase? Are they the same? - Page 3 - Wallets - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
Brushless4500KV

What is the difference between Private Key and Seed Phrase? Are they the same?

I know about only private key , this is combination of letters as well as character and number . this is really hard To generated same private key That we have . if we wouldn't save our private key or we lost our wallet then there isn't any way to recover our wallet .

19797726_signatutelogo.jpeg.5619939f2adcfc45c33a5e7577232a71.jpeg

3 hours ago, gourav789 said:

I know about only private key , this is combination of letters as well as character and number . this is really hard To generated same private key That we have . if we wouldn't save our private key or we lost our wallet then there isn't any way to recover our wallet .

@Gourav most wallets today are hierarchical deterministic wallets, they support BIP39 which is called seed phrase, private keys can recover a specific coins but seed phrase can recover back the whole wallet is the private key is exported and recorded inna paper as a back up. It is easily transcribed and easily to know. So it can be easily imported into another wallet for full recovery of your coins. 

The difference is clear. Private keys are set of keys that allows access to cryptocurrency stored in a wallet (without it, no access). A seed phrase however is used in recovering or to backup a wallet, that is why they are also called recovery phrase or back up phrase.

My Altcointalks username —° Raqeebzy

For me the private key is the most important and confidential point that should not be shared with any other party because the risk of leaking the private key is much greater than the risk of getting mail or public key

BetFury                                                   

🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹

Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                 

You can use both methods to enter your wallet. You can log in to your wallet using the private key. Therefore, you do not have to share it with anyone. Either Seed Phrase is the words that you save to be able to enter the wallet if you change your device.

Your private key is what grants ownership over the funds on a wallet address while the seed phrase of any wallet is just a mnemonic phrase generated from the private key of wallet, it is also called recovery phrase because it is used to recover your wallet. 

Private key and seed phrase use in hardware wallet, where this keys generats to secure our accounts, I think both this keys access our accounts but we store this keys in safe place, and only share our private key to receive coins, but seed phrase key we don't share any one because its our back up key, if loss our private key then use this seed key to access our account and recover private key to the help of seed phrase. 

On 12/3/2019 at 6:07 PM, Brushless4500KV said:

When we discuss about BTC wallets, there are 3 terms that come to mind first.

Public key is quite easy to understand. It is a set of numbers and letters (hash) that can be seen by everyone in a transaction. It is used to receive BTC from others.

The other two terms are Private Key and Seed Phrase (it has some other names such as recovery phrase).

I read about BTC wallet private key and seed phrase but couldn't understand the difference between them!

According to what I know, private key is a secret number that any wallet owner has in order to spend his bitcoin.

Seed phrase is a number of words that we should write down to recover our wallet funds in case something happens for our PC or mobile. This will be given to us by wallet service provider.

I have received a seed phrase from my blockchain wallet and have written it on a piece of paper. Is this the same thing as private key? What do they mean by private key? Is my blockchain password = my private key?

Can someone explain the difference between private key (secret number) and seed phrase (a set of word)

Good job for posting this beneficial post though I never knew about seed phrase untill now I know the difference between the seed phrase and public key .

On 12/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, Brushless4500KV said:

Public key is quite easy to understand. It is a set of numbers and letters (hash) that can be seen by everyone in a transaction. It is used to receive BTC from others.

The other two terms are Private Key and Seed Phrase (it has some other names such as recovery phrase).

I read about BTC wallet private key and seed phrase but couldn't understand the difference between them!

According to what I know, private key is a secret number that any wallet owner has in order to spend his bitcoin.

Seed phrase is a number of words that we should write down to recover our wallet funds in case something happens for our PC or mobile. This will be given to us by wallet service provider.

I have received a seed phrase from my blockchain wallet and have written it on a piece of paper. Is this the same thing as private key? What do they mean by private key? Is my blockchain password = my private key?

Can someone explain the difference between private key (secret number) and seed phrase (a set of words)?

In other words it is your recovery phrase, if you forget your password and you cannot enter it is the way to recover your mkonbedas, you put your phrase of 12 or 24 words that they give you at the beginning of creating the portfolio and you will be able to enter and restore the password

On 10/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, juan francisco reynaldo garcia said:

In other words it is your recovery phrase, if you forget your password and you cannot enter it is the way to recover your mkonbedas, you put your phrase of 12 or 24 words that they give you at the beginning of creating the portfolio and you will be able to enter and restore the password

I think it is not only about forgetting or making mistakes. The seed phrase can help people who want to format their PCs or re-install their Windows. Desktop wallets (like Electrum for Bitcoin) are installed on your PC and I think you need your seed phrase to make them working again after updating your Windows. However, private keys are only used for spending your coins during transactions and they have nothing to do with password recovery.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, Brushless4500KV said:

Can someone explain the difference between private key (secret number) and seed phrase (a set of words)?

The private key is created by you, instead the seed is offered to you by the blockchain or the wallet that you are going to use to use your btc, for something it throws you those different words that form a key.

difference between non-public key and seed word as i know:  it is the non-public key that allows you to get right of entry to your pockets. in case you lose it, you won't be able to get admission to the pockets. seed phrase is the key with a view to assist you to retrieve your pockets in case you make a formatting for your computer or cell smartphone or want to update the old one with a new one

The private key can be the credentials to access our account, the code that we use to process a cryptocurrency shipping operation also counts as a private key, the latter is not always used but some exchanges for security reasons ask for it. The seed is basically a set of words that in case of losing our cell phone or our computer we can recover our account on another cell phone or computer.

• +1 1
  • +2 1

i think seed is the combination of words that actually help you recover your account if something happened but the private key is what you use for your wallet entry, like your password for safety.

Seed phrase are always 12 letter words, they can only backup funds on blockchain, if a third party discovers your seed phrase, the person can easily gain access to your saved coins, it is not advisable that we type our seed phrase on any untrusted website or links. Seed phrase saves all the appropriate datas and informations required to recover our funds.

While in terms of private keys, it is irrecoverable once it is lost, private keys are used to make non-reversible transactions, private keys are generated according to the kind of wallet we are using. Private keys allows us to have access to our wallet and it protects our wallet from fraudsters.

• +2 1

10 hours ago, Liliz said:

Private keys allows us to have access to our wallet and it protects our wallet from fraudsters.

@LilizIf attackers have access to your private key, they will be able to steal your coin. It is just for unlocking coin from blockchain where it is stored. 

Seed phrase and privet keys are almost same.Seed phrase is the back up of wallet. It mention 12,15 or 24 words.If its used in wallet remebered amd do not share any one then its impossible to lose wallet. The privet keys is also like that but after open the wallet need strong security system.That's why need privet keys. For set privet keys need letter or numbers.That's result nobody can not access the wallet.

The private key is the one that allows the total ownership and management of our crypto coin purses, while the seed phrases are the ones that allow us to recover our assets in case of failure of our pc or the breakdown, theft or loss of our smartphone

Both are not same private key you tell not anyone. It is personal for you. And the seed key for high security if assets stored in the wallet. I use se wallet where use private key . Like a trust wallet it's security is high. 

Both are essentially random numbers. But they are used in different ways.

A seed is used to generate a series of private keys using an algorithm (step by step repeatable process). So in that case the keys are not random but "determined" by the seed and processing steps. Hence, why those wallets are called "deterministic".

Either way, you end up with private keys (random or deterministic) which is the math basis for how your btc are secured.

12 or 24 word typically just determines the length of the seed, 12 being 128 bit and 24 being 256 bit (which just happens to be the same length as a private key). 

I think private key is the key thats if someone get it can have access to your account, I guess this private key can be compressed as API keys, but recovery phrase is used to restore your wallet within new IP address. 

• +3 1

The difference between private keys and seed phrases which I understood is that the private keys allow you to login your wallet account in mobile or computer and seed phrases allow you to make your transaction. 

Seed phrase and private keys both perform very important functions. Three terms are used in cryptocurrency public key, private key and seed phrase. But public key are the number and letters while the private key is secrets letters which required the security while seed phrase work when your account having some problems. 

On 12/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, guatazoo said:

I think private key is the key thats if someone get it can have access to your account, I guess this private key can be compressed as API keys, but recovery phrase is used to restore your wallet within new IP address. 

API keys also is private keys because you don't have to share it, but private keys cannot be shortened as API keys because API keys expanded as application programming interface (API) so that's API keys and seed phrase all of them are privates keys that's if you share them you'll be in danger.

Trade on Binance future trading, spot trading, cross margin, P2P and fiat trading, also earn up to 40% referral commission, Direct Link