What is the overclocking for GPU? - Page 2 - Mining - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
Crypto123

What is the overclocking for GPU?

18 minutes ago, geezer said:

That's right, I achieved some 42 mh on a P104-100 with random slightly overclocked core clock and I do not see it productive.

I do not care much for power efficiency, I can afford monthly payments for 4 MWh but I cannot afford building Ethereum mining rigs on 1080Ti's. I use RX570 instead.

I was choosing between 1080TI and RX 570. Figured I'd go with 1080TI since I was on a specific budget. Had no need to get an extra mobo, cpu, ram, ssd, risers, PSU and build another frame if I could put a more powerful and energy efficient rig together. Over time it all paid off and it won anyways. LUX coin paid for my rig in less than a month anyways so I don't even think about it anymore. Was a crazy pump this coin had.

Also if I would mine with RX 570's right now I would be at loss, as it takes more power than it mines with my electricity prices.

Edited by neurolicious
add

3 minutes ago, neurolicious said:

LUX coin paid for my rig in less than a month anyways so I don't even think about it anymore. Was a crazy pump this coin had.

That is huge deal of luck. Probably won't happen anymore.

3 minutes ago, geezer said:

That is huge deal of luck. Probably won't happen anymore.

Happened to Veil aswell but in much smaller scale and it was more about quantity I was getting in the beginning. I hunt for new PoW coins every day. Never know when the next gem comes out. Getting on early on the very first block is great. Massive gains.

Edited by neurolicious
add

12 minutes ago, neurolicious said:

I hunt for new PoW coins every day

I follow some miner support threads. Sometimes they include new mining opportunities in new versions. I'd rather not seek and use unknown untested software that are used at the very start of mining new coins on new algos.

1 hour ago, Bikash Baniya said:

Overclocking means increasing the speed of working of GPU by modifying according to the desire of the user. Normally, these overclocking is not advised by the GPU company as it can tear and wear your device faster than the regular time. If you really want to overclock then try to find it on youtube. 

Yes for that I am asking about overlock because I heard that it causes some damage to the card and can shorten the life of the card and I was looking if the benefits are more than the damage or vice versa.

56 minutes ago, geezer said:

I follow some miner support threads. Sometimes they include new mining opportunities in new versions. I'd rather not seek and use unknown untested software that are used at the very start of mining new coins on new algos.

Depends on the people who make these miners. In LUX there was 2 very reputable people in Bitcointalk forum who built the miners for LUX and they were open source. I always compile my own, never use compiled miners. Obviously some random fresh account uploading miners is sketchy.

42 minutes ago, Crypto123 said:

Yes for that I am asking about overlock because I heard that it causes some damage to the card and can shorten the life of the card and I was looking if the benefits are more than the damage or vice versa.

GPU's from the factory come at lower clock speeds than they can output. It leaves headroom for the users to play with. It's the biggest myth that overclocking is shortening cards lifespan. In fact 12 hours of gaming has more of a negative effect on the GPU than 12 hours of mining, because in gaming there's always new textures, shaders etc being rendered which means constant voltage fluctuations so therefore the VRM has to work much harder. With mining the voltages are the same, if you use a non alternating algo. Think about as this. if you hit the on/off switch on your ceiling lamp in your home non stop, the lamp will break pretty quick, but if it is on it can stay on for years without issue(if its a good lamp).

Only thing that truly kills cards is high temperatures, and VRM voltage fluctuations shorten the life span faster than constant steady voltage.

Edited by neurolicious
  • Useful or interesting 2

On 1/1/2020 at 4:38 PM, neurolicious said:

Depends on the people who make these miners. In LUX there was 2 very reputable people in Bitcointalk forum who built the miners for LUX and they were open source. I always compile my own, never use compiled miners. Obviously some random fresh account uploading miners is sketchy.

GPU's from the factory come at lower clock speeds than they can output. It leaves headroom for the users to play with. It's the biggest myth that overclocking is shortening cards lifespan. In fact 12 hours of gaming has more of a negative effect on the GPU than 12 hours of mining, because in gaming there's always new textures, shaders etc being rendered which means constant voltage fluctuations so therefore the VRM has to work much harder. With mining the voltages are the same, if you use a non alternating algo. Think about as this. if you hit the on/off switch on your ceiling lamp in your home non stop, the lamp will break pretty quick, but if it is on it can stay on for years without issue(if its a good lamp).

Only thing that truly kills cards is high temperatures, and VRM voltage fluctuations shorten the life span faster than constant steady voltage.

Thank you for this accurate technical explanation. It is really valuable and very logical information. I used to think that it would negatively affect the card, but as long as you say that this is designed by the parent company, I think it will definitely not cause harm.

On 1/12/2020 at 8:18 AM, Nilmila said:

The world’s most recognized and widely used graphics card overclocking utility which gives you full control of your graphics cards. ... MSI Afterburner is available completely free of charge and can be used with graphics cards from all brands. ...........

Indeed, I used MSI Afterburner which is a great program that is easy to use and has great features, and it is also safer than other methods that can go wrong and cause damage to the card.

Overclocking is the task of increasing the rate of clocking of a component by running it more quickly than intended. Typically this is true for CPU or GPU, but other pieces can be overclocked as well.

I find this not very satisfactory, it's too dangerous. overclocking the GPU speed it is too dangerous and cause great harm to your computer.

18 hours ago, jacker said:

I find this not very satisfactory, it's too dangerous. overclocking the GPU speed it is too dangerous and cause great harm to your computer.

It doesn't have to be very dangerous, if you do the steps correctly then there will be no harm, I think, but of course errors occur and in this case it can cause damage. But it can be said that it does not have much impact on mining strength according to my personal experience.

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Welcome with me
The process is risky, overclocking the graphics card does not produce great results, on the contrary, it will affect the performance of the card's processor, including damage to the graphics card

Yes, I have noticed that overclocking does not give significant results in mining, but only a small increase. In terms of damage, I do not think that it causes damage because the manufacturer of the card puts the default speed of the card at a percentage less than its maximum speed and therefore practically this speed can be increased without damage.

55 minutes ago, BitTim said:

Overclocking in GPU is reaching the maximum amount of power in a graphics card but at this point overclocking is very risky and I won't advice anyone to let his graphics card reach this level 

I think it will not directly harm it, but rather could shorten the operating life of the card, it is known that any device that has a life span of operating hours, but running at top speed will reduce the number of virtual hours of operation.

2 hours ago, lala Balarukh said:

I think the overclocking is to rise the gpu control to his most extreme control and speed, I ruddy it and I needed to undertake it on my pc but it was unsafe

Yes, thank you. This is really true, and I tried it without problems, but I did not notice a big difference in the Hash Power card, so I decided not to risk and returned the card to its default from the company.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, jumiee said:

This is pardon? I if truth be told aim to ask over about, does that overclocking the GPU drive too fast grounds the appliance to damage or not, if it causes hurt at that moment it is better to toil in innocent manner as you say, above all since I unspoken that the tempo multiply does not encourage the velocity of mining a lot.

Yes, raising the speed of the card to the maximum can cause some problems in the card, especially if the one who does this does not have much experience, and the results that you get are not very encouraging, according to my personal opinion.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:17 AM, Crypto123 said:

Yes, I have noticed that overclocking does not give significant results in mining, but only a small increase. In terms of damage, I do not think that it causes damage because the manufacturer of the card puts the default speed of the card at a percentage less than its maximum speed and therefore practically this speed can be increased without damage.

I was going to explain to you, but apparently you knowingly and have your own conclusions. Ok, just continue with your standard settings.

<Bitcoin> 33UiM7HjYSH9ZuCfdQiRKmWNJdGhLx444W

10 hours ago, Apple said:

I was going to explain to you, but apparently you knowingly and have your own conclusions. Ok, just continue with your standard settings.

Well thank you, I have already made the settings and tried the overlock and the experiment was successful but I don't think there is much difference so I decided to back down.

7 hours ago, Thefighter said:

Overclocking basically means boosting your GPU power up to the maximum. This is going to help you a lot at the beginning but on the long term you GPU will get damaged

Yes, this is what I am talking about and I want to know it, and it is true that overcooking increases the speed and increases the mining force, but it can cause damage in the long run.

1 hour ago, arnob5277 said:

Overclocking is the action of increasing a component's clock rate, running it at a higher speed than it was designed to run. This is usually applies to the CPU or GPU, but other components can also be overclocked

I think that the words that you said: “running it at a higher speed than it was designed to run” is completely inaccurate and cannot operate at a higher speed at which it was designed but higher than the factory default speed and there is a difference. The default speed is less than the maximum speed and the overclock makes the card run at the maximum speed.

Over clocking increase performance of gpu many overclocking videos available in youtube you can watch but I not recommend you overclock your gpu.

I think GPU overclocking is a bad thing, I'm afraid your computer can't handle it, it's a dangerous job and not sure about anything. Do not try to speed up too, profitable but your computer is harmful

1 hour ago, memorie said:

This option is not recommended. You can try that, maybe you'll get excessive overall performance then earlier time, but it will no longer be a long closing work. The card andapotret can be broken and may burn immediately. Sayatrying to apply for most CPU power, while I tried, my CPU bid hash low price which is below 100 H/s. However while I use 3 cores or eighty% of my electricity gets 172 h/s.

Your opinion is correct, I also think that it is not very useful, as it may cause damage to the card in the long run.

I tried it before and didn't like it so I decided to undo it and return the card to normal.

i do not use any gpu in my life for mining purpose .I have good information about different GPU for Gaming purpose .Please tell in detail what is GPU overlocking and what is the benefits of that .

The main reason is to improve the performance of an overclock GPU by increasing the speed at which the graphics processor works. All GPUs are designed to operate at a certain speed, known as the basic clock, but various cards can usually exceed the manufacturer's speed.