Is it necessary to keep old bitcoin addresses for future reference? - Page 3 - Bitcoin - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
Brushless4500KV

Is it necessary to keep old bitcoin addresses for future reference?

I don't think it is necessary to keep old addresses because transactions cannot be tracked so I only rely on addresses that are created in each new transaction.

• Useful or interesting 1

No exchange site or wallet will ever ask for such an old address.  However, if Bitcoin is legal in your country, you can deposit Bitcoin in any bank.  And there they can ask such questions to verify.  But I have never faced such a problem.  So I don't save Bitcoin's address.  Because I don't need it.

• +2 1

They will be just wasting your time because btc addresses are changing every time you make transactions so that it means you'll be keeping so many addresses.

• Useful or interesting 1
  • +2 1

Trade on Binance future trading, spot trading, cross margin, P2P and fiat trading, also earn up to 40% referral commission, Direct Link

I don't store the Bitcoin addresses I have used, because it will fill up my computer's memory. So usually I'll delete it. Keeping the old address will only confuse me, I don't need it anymore. What's important is with a new address.

• +1 1
  • +2 1

I keep almost everything, private keys, public addresses, and of course the main keys are in the cold storage wallet. Keeping everything needs to have good skills to organize an excel spreadsheet. I don't keep addresses that are not mine and don't keep public addresses I use in exchanges.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, Brushless4500KV said:

There are websites like Blockexplorer which let you find any details you want about a particular address or block. Has it ever happened to you to look for old transactions through old addresses? Do you still have your previous addresses?

I do not have all the old addresses recorded in my notebook or in the separate digital backup devices. All the records are stored on the blockchain. If I wish to see them, there are the records that's why I would like to thank transparency feature of the blockchain technology. 

Additionally, exchanges which I have used to make the transactions also host the records so exactly no need to make the records for me. 

• +3 1

10 hours ago, Whited35 said:

I do not have all the old addresses recorded in my notebook or in the separate digital backup devices. All the records are stored on the blockchain. If I wish to see them, there are the records that's why I would like to thank transparency feature of the blockchain technology. 

Additionally, exchanges which I have used to make the transactions also host the records so exactly no need to make the records for me. 

I know that old bitcoin addresses are not safe to be used for the second or third time but it is also annoying to create a new address for each new transaction. It is easier to recognize every person with his own dedicated address. When that same person sends coins to you, the sender is identified quickly. It is like having multiple bank accounts to deal with. If you want to know how many coins you have sent and received in total, you have to write down the details of every transaction.

• +3 1

On 1/5/2021 at 8:04 AM, joemcgwa said:

They will be just wasting your time because btc addresses are changing every time you make transactions so that it means you'll be keeping so many addresses.

All in all there has no reason for keeping the previously bitcoin addresses for the history view, because the wallet its own must show your historical transactions within the wa

• +2 1

I don't ever keep addresses, there is no need to do that and why would you require a future reference? If you somehow want to find something, it will not be very easy but it will be there, however I don't see any reason in doing that, you will waste your time with useless information.

Since you are asking about addresses of others, no, I'm not keeping anything saved, and the reason is because I don't have to keep my mind in these at all, also there may be one day a mistake and select one of these addresses instead of one of mine, then there would be an irreversible mistake.

I do not think it is that necessary, bitcoin addresses and their transaction history are kept publically on the blockchain ledger.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:48 AM, guatazoo said:

All in all there has no reason for keeping the previously bitcoin addresses for the history view, because the wallet its own must show your historical transactions within the wa

If someone will see it is useful to be stored the previously wallets address for the historical transactions, then they should only be using the same address without generating new one in  order to see their all transactions history within one address, although its not that safe to be using a single wallet address with all transactions.

• +3 1

Trade on Binance future trading, spot trading, cross margin, P2P and fiat trading, also earn up to 40% referral commission, Direct Link

9 hours ago, joemcgwa said:

If someone will see it is useful to be stored the previously wallets address for the historical transactions, then they should only be using the same address without generating new one in  order to see their all transactions history within one address, although its not that safe to be using a single wallet address with all transactions.

It will not be safe to be using same bitcoin wallet with all transactions especially for bitcoin, because if hackers will notice that's your certain wallet address are always receiving big transactions, there is how they will be targeting your wallet mostly 

• +2 1

6 hours ago, Carolena said:

We do not need to keep the addresses of the various portfolios, as the transactions that take place cannot be reversed or undone, so we will not benefit from these addresses in any action.

@Carolena Because we can use new address for each transaction do not make use need to keep addresses. But except in some occasion like using an address to sign a message. But that aside, there is no other good reason to safe bitcoin address when tour wallet have billion of addresses generated. 

• +2 1

Of course, I do not save all the addresses. It is enough to keep one address so that you can send bitcoin to it. You can also search for the same address because all of those addresses that you get are linked to this address and will give you the same results because they are linked to only one wallet.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:28 PM, selfmade said:

I do not think it is that necessary, bitcoin addresses and their transaction history are kept publically on the blockchain ledger.

Sure for any wallet or any financial platform they must have the reference history for your own transactions thats you have made, even banks they are using bank statement to show the reference. 

• +2 1

On 1/18/2021 at 10:34 PM, guatazoo said:

It will not be safe to be using same bitcoin wallet with all transactions especially for bitcoin, because if hackers will notice that's your certain wallet address are always receiving big transactions, there is how they will be targeting your wallet mostly 

But if wallets should be exchanged every time, why there have platforms which you setup your wallet address which will be used to confirming transactions.

• +2 1

I am keeping record physically but as soft copy by screen shoot. And for searching my transaction I always use blockchain network.But now gonna visit your recommended website. Keeping regularly record of all my transactions are very tiresome. But I keep always big transaction which can easily show my financial status. Those transaction could be helpful for explaining my funds and movement. But you have also record save in wallet and exchange. 

• +2 1