What will you do if a thief takes your hard copy - Page 2 - Wallets - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
xBDT Script

What will you do if a thief takes your hard copy

There is notting that we can do once it is stolen. Only sit down try not to cry and pray to to God lol, we should have prepared another copy of the paper wallet and try to get into our wallet as soon as possible and transact our funds.

Locked the device with internet, some of laptop have a feature went we can locked for a lost purpose.

If the device get locked the thief will cant open the file, the important file will cannot breach he only got the laptop. The tieft only can reinstal the windows if he want to use the laptop.

Move all my coins directly from that wallet to other wallet that the thief don't have. It's really important to do that first so the the thief will not get anything when they open your wallet.

It will be hard to catch a theif here bacause people can fake their identities and imformations about them so if you figured out a way to catch them then you are great.

Every one will tell you be careful next time, there is nothing that you can do in my opinion your money it's your responsibility if you lose it you can't blaime any one only you

I think you don't have any thing to do just regret your money if you lose your seed your coins gone with it and no other way to refund your money as i know,i hope there is some thing to do to get your money i hope in future we have some real solution 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, xBDT Script said:

Say you have a bitcoin wallet and you have a printed copy with the seed. You stored in a safe deposit box and someday you discovered that the printed copy is not there with some other money you had there. I mean, someday you discovered that you someone stole everything from that deposit box. 

What will you do to get back your coins (assuming other things are not as much important as the coins you have)?

Let's share the idea of how we can see ourselves not to be a situation like this.

What to do if a thief takes your hard copy? Hey, take his soft copy. No, but seriously there's not much you can do to get your money back.

I'm guessing that the only thing you could do is to go on Blockchain, and look if they spent the money already, but other than that you can't do much. I was playing with the idea of fingerprint authentication, which would help a lot of people, but technology hasn't progressed that far yet.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:43 PM, xBDT Script said:

Say you have a bitcoin wallet and you have a printed copy with the seed. You stored in a safe deposit box and someday you discovered that the printed copy is not there with some other money you had there. I mean, someday you discovered that you someone stole everything from that deposit box. 

What will you do to get back your coins (assuming other things are not as much important as the coins you have)?

Let's share the idea of how we can see ourselves not to be a situation like this.

I think better use CCTV for catching that scammer or else you have to forget it forever. This is a bad situation where we need to store the hardware wallet in safe lockers with more security.

Blockchain is not like PayPal or skrill where we can able to stop future transactions.

It is a small Hard drive so it's easy to keep it under walls, that is enough to secure our wallet.

Edited by cryptosix

once the bitcoin wallet is compromised, the private keys are stolen and all the stolen bitcoins stolen there is little to do, you can follow the transactions of these bitcoins up to a certain point but if they are passed through a mixer or turned into monero the tracks are lost, same for the ip who uses their own ip to do these things? tor is used on a vpn that is practically impossible to find

• +2 1

If Bitcoin was stored on the exchange, it demanded that the stolen Bitcoin be returned and that the exchange compensated for the damage. On a personal wallet, you can only calculate the addresses where your funds went. 

On 10/17/2019 at 1:13 AM, xBDT Script said:

When I realize my hardcopy has been stolen, if I still have a way to enter my wallet, then I will make a temporary online wallet to transfer funds. Why did i do that? When the thief takes a deposit box, automatically opening the deposit box and finding out the hardcopy will take a bit of time, moreover the thief will have difficulty finding what wallet I use.

I definitely use the 2FA feature for every wallet I use, if the wallet has that feature.

Quite a strange question, because scammers simply will not be able to take a copy of my hard drive simply because they first have to break into my house, and then somehow take the data from my hard drive, which is now under a long password. Thanks for the interesting question.)

Yes, you are right. I think i  like your idea  very much. We use our Bitcoin wallet very carefully when we use it and I will tell you to do so and you can also get help with various security systems of your Bitcoin wallet.its  can be  very helpfull for  us

It seems I think it depends on who or how the thief who took my hard copy, if non-tech people and do not understand crypto and other important data I think we do not need to panic too much but if it does understand I think we should quickly send our assets if still holding the private key in the cloud or elsewhere.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:13 AM, xBDT Script said:

I will try to open the wallet by other new devices, and if that way is not to work, then I think I cannot do anything. I hope that the thief doesn't know about bitcoin so they cannot use the seed to access my wallet. But I will not be safe the deposit box in my home because that is too risky. I will rent a place in the bank because the safety box is my treasure for my life and my family and I don't want to get something worse if I don't take in a safe place. I hope I never get that terrible experience in the future.

If you have the hard copy of your bitcoin paper wallet key, its better to have more than one hard copy in order if one get stealed you'll remain with stock.

I think its always to have a other copy of your wallet address, so if its get stolen by someone. fastly transfer the funds from there before the thief do it first. or if you dont have a backup resources then you cant do anything but just go to the nearest police station and report for a thief crime. 

I think its consistently to have an other duplicate of your wallet address, so if its get taken by somebody. fastly move the assets from that point before the criminal do it first. or on the other hand on the off chance that you dont have a reinforcement assets, at that point you cannot do anything other than simply go to the closest police headquarters and report for a cheat wrongdoing.

of course I will report to the police station, but if the police can't find the hard copy maybe I won't panic too much, because I always keep all the important files in icloud or other cloud storage.

If I should reply to this topic, I will say depending as when you discover it is stolen. however, I will quickly create another wallet, then transfer all my coins to it. Unless the thief is smarter than I am.

14 minutes ago, wilbertson said:

Hackers tend to take your coins with multiple transactions, which gives you an opportunity to transfer your coins, but scammers and thieves would use only one transaction.

So before they can do anything with our wallet, we need to send the coin into another wallet, which we have so they cannot steal our coins. We can install the other wallet in the other devices so we can act fast before it's too late. I am sure that they cannot do something if the transaction process starts, so they don't have a chance to get the coin. But unfortunately, their act is too fast, and sometimes we are late to respond to what they did, and that means we are losing that coin before we realize. That is why we need to have more than one wallet to secure our coins, but that will not necessary if we have a hardware wallet because we only need to save that hardware into a safe place.

1 hour ago, wilbertson said:

Here is the best solution, keep your coins in paper wallets and spread them to multiple wallets let say 0.01/wallet for 0.1 btc. It is safer this way. Paper wallets are my preferable cold wallets, because they are free.

That is a good solution too, so we don't have to afraid or worry if somehow, we lose that paper wallet because we still have the other paper wallet with the amount of bitcoin inside that wallet. But maybe we can take all of those wallets in one safe place so we don't have to confuse to think about where we can place all of the wallets. But the most important thing that we must do is never telling other people who we don't know so that people don't ask anything about our wallet. That will be dangerous is other people knows about bitcoin that we have.

1 hour ago, RoyJones said:

You can  do nothing in such situation. All you can to do is create new wallet and pass 2fa autententication. I heard hackers stole more then one billion dollars frm users

Which is why ita important to do those things beforehand and don't risk your coins being exposed to hackera as easy as hacking a Facebook account because your trading account is holding your hard work not just something you should leqve unguarded. 

I will chace after him I guess 😅/ I will surely and I do have the copy backed up so if i notice aearly I wil move my coins to another wallet.