[How to] Run your own Electrum Server - Tutorials - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
xBDT Script

[How to] Run your own Electrum Server

Well those who are concerns for their privacy and trusting the existing Electrum servers the solution for them is to run their own Electrum server. Few days ago I was wondering by think who runs the Electrum server but now I figured that it can run by anyone.

If you are running a full node then setting the tx index to 1 will enable you to run an Electrum server. Your node will always help the bitcoiners around the world. Anyway, here is a tutorial with full details: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum-server/blob/master/HOWTO.md

• Useful or interesting 2

3 minutes ago, iamaruf said:

Did you try this method ? my friend tried but he failed if you tried this please make a video tutorial it will help him.also will be helpful for this forum member.

Well making a video tutorial is a lot of work however I hope I will do one in the future once I will have free time and will be in the right mood.

It's good to run a full node and to run an Electrum server. You can always feel that you are contributing to the community.

• Useful or interesting 1

I was wondering that also somedays ago, if I'm not mistaken, we had a talk about this couple of days ago. Server doesn't influence much though, connecting with other server can not do any harm of your wallet unless you are using electrum version below 3.3 probably.

2 minutes ago, Consignee said:

I was wondering that also somedays ago, if I'm not mistaken, we had a talk about this couple of days ago. Server doesn't influence much though, connecting with other server can not do any harm of your wallet unless you are using electrum version below 3.3 probably.

I remember talking about you and other in one of the topic here. I can not just locate it. After the conversation I did not reading online and found this information.

The Electrum servers actually are running by individual like us who are running a full node. Only thing you need to do is the set your tx index to 1 and your node is an Electrum server.

The older versions are not actually that effective at all. That is why one always need to go with the latest version.

3 hours ago, xBDT Script said:

I remember talking about you and other in one of the topic here. I can not just locate it. After the conversation I did not reading online and found this information.

The Electrum servers actually are running by individual like us who are running a full node. Only thing you need to do is the set your tx index to 1 and your node is an Electrum server.

The older versions are not actually that effective at all. That is why one always need to go with the latest version.

Wow, thank you guys for sharing this valuable information, I've learned a lot over these past few days and I'm still learning, this is a real eye opener, which is to show how broad the crypto space is. That's guys keep up the good work, thumbs up. 

Join My The Family And we share 100% Wining Strategy and Referral Bonus earnings. 

Earn with WOWAPP today!!! 

8 hours ago, aeiouc said:

For who server node Electrum serves.? 

This server has to be installed on our computers.!?
So they should be updated when needed by whom to install.!?

When we use Wallet the rates will be lower because of this...?

Confused what you asked.

Electrum is a SPV wallet. See below reference for SPV wallet.

You can use Bitcoin without downloading the whole bitcoin blockchain. You can use lower customized fee. You can have your seed key for securing the coin.

You can use it from computer and mobile.

7 hours ago, Consignee said:

Confused what you asked.

Well I too is confused but I think I can figure out this question:

16 hours ago, aeiouc said:

This server has to be installed on our computers.!?

If someone is running a full node then they basically do not need to do anything else. Just set the txindex to 1 and this will enable your node to function as one of the Electrum server. So yes, one of the server will be in your computer.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:19 PM, xBDT Script said:

Well those who are concerns for their privacy and trusting the existing Electrum servers the solution for them is to run their own Electrum server. Few days ago I was wondering by think who runs the Electrum server but now I figured that it can run by anyone.

If you are running a full node then setting the tx index to 1 will enable you to run an Electrum server. Your node will always help the bitcoiners around the world. Anyway, here is a tutorial with full details: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum-server/blob/master/HOWTO.md

What is  the use of it if it requires to run bitcoind demon and have full synchronized blockchain. Isn't  it better to have Bitcoin Core in the case you want full blockchain on your computer?

Edited by cryptex

1 minute ago, cryptex said:

blockchain Isn't better to habe Bitcoin Core in the case yuo want full blockchain on your computer?

You are in fact running the entire full node in your system. But to be able to be a part of the Electurm server (I mean running an electrum server) you are setting your txindex to 1

4 minutes ago, xBDT Script said:

You are in fact running the entire full node in your system. But to be able to be a part of the Electurm server (I mean running an electrum server) you are setting your txindex to 1

I understand this but the question remains why not to have Bitcoin Core to run full node? that remains more easier  to  support and run.

32 minutes ago, cryptex said:

I understand this but the question remains why not to have Bitcoin Core to run full node?

It comes down to personal choice if one wants to just run a full node then fine. I do not see any problem at all 😊

7 hours ago, cryptex said:

I understand this but the question remains why not to have Bitcoin Core to run full node? that remains more easier  to  support and run.

eventually every network needs nodes, and you can create a node or just not, its your choice to decide to help witch coins

14 minutes ago, Hassan261 said:

Along these lines less assets are expended to assemble new PCs and less electronic trash is made

Really not making sense what you up to. We are talking about running an Electrum server here and those who are running a full node they can just set the txindex to 1 to enable the Electrum server. There are no scope for electronic trash or PC assembleing 😊

1 minute ago, susilabai said:

So can we use the blockchain server node in Electrum server node.

The node are the servers technically. In a node we have the entire blockchain downloaded in the computer. When we broadcast a transaction then the same date gets updated in all the node that existed at the moment. This is why blockchain is decentralized. The data are saved until the last node was destroyed.

Now to serve for Electrum server one need to set the txindex to 1 and he is in fact still running a full node.

I was considering that also somedays back, in the occasion that I'm not stirred up, we had a discussion around this couple of days back.

Create a user for running bitcoind and Electrum server. Download bitcoind. Configure and start bitcoind. Download and install Electrum server. Select your limit. Import blockchain into the database or download it.Create a self-signed SSL cert. Configure Electrum server.

This is very hard for me because I have no idea about servers and I don't how to use it to save our funds. I even don't know how to run Electrum server. Bytheway thank you very much for this post. 

On 10/13/2019 at 11:49 PM, xBDT Script said:

Well this is an interesting topic. Because i have heard a lot about the electrum wallet. And now i'm getting to learn more about its features. Thank you for sharing valuable information friend. 

Thank you for sharing this information, I think this things are for who are expertise! for me and I think for many members this type of things Electrum server is very hard to manage them if we have not any idea, but thank you we can take some notes about.

468x60.gif.2f5be3d8fc5caf83e400a2cd4d4ca105.gif

Thanks for this tutorial brother i consider my self as a beginner in crypto currency and i still lean day after day but not more experience to run any server now in this server 

Thank you for sharing the Electrum service, which offers users cryptocurrency storage. Electrum may well serve to store cryptocurrencies in your wallet. 

Hello, my friend. Electrum servers to not host or store "wallets" at all. The electrum app gives the server a list of addresses it wants to track, and the server queries its index and returns the history for each address. That is the extent of what an electrum server knows about a "wallet". This is the same information you have in a full node, but indexed for faster searching.