Brainstorming ideas: How to combat spam in the forum? - Page 2 - About Forum - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
rekter

Brainstorming ideas: How to combat spam in the forum?

1 hour ago, rekter said:

Yeah, i agree, btc for reputation points system is being constantly abused. But i am starting to think that @kyoukage01 is on to something with his idea of unlocking btc payments. In that way reputation points wouldn't necessarily be even needed.

I appreciate the ideas proposed by @kyoukage01 I just checked his whole ideas, pretty cool but in case of activity based proposal, my opinion is quite different. Despite the member ranks on forum, active members to visit forum regularly(multiple times in a day, not come--complete 20 tasks--rush away principle😂) and contributing honestly will have equal opportunity to get rewarded. I am telling so because newly joined members will always seek the motivation and if all members are equally paid according to their quality contributions, it will be fair enough and scientific too. Higher ranked members would have other benefits like they can be hired for topic edit, spam topic remove and copied posts report/remove tasks. Also you know, Bounties are their to judge members according to the ranks. 

1 hour ago, rekter said:

And man there's a lot of rephrasing bots replying to this thread already. Well at least i know they are all getting caught. :)

Lol, I would not mind to join the party to share them -5 surprise 😁 !

1 hour ago, rekter said:

Woud this be activity system be similar to kyouage's rank/unlock system?

I have already justified but unlocking system could make the sense for those who have got punished from moderators. Their punishments can be unlocked by paying certain amounts of Talk tokens and I am completely against double payment because TALK token payment method is already initiated and forum should be focused on it. 

1 hour ago, rekter said:

But like kyouage said, it cold create a huge flow of false reports. I am not sure if that would be a huge problem but it's a good point. That's why i was thinking of designated moderator assistants.

His concern is also meaningful here but moderators are also evaluating the success rate of report submitted by some forum members. They might pick some of them for the considerations. In case of increasing forum moderators, highly trained moderators are already here and maybe they are thinking about to add more in future. I like all moderators on this forum. In my personal experience without attempting to represent one to be over smart but working efficiency of fast and furious highly trained moderators like @epidemia, has been putting the extra values on this forum since its birth.  I am still wondering now, they were still there to combat against scammers when DLRS airdrop was announced by Yobit. I never thought limited moderators would be able to revert forum at its shape in a very short duration🤐

• +5 1

Combating spam in the forum is not easy for me as I do not know how to detect spam post. I think I need to strictly follow people on this topic and stay tune to it so as to gain more idea on this topic in order not to fall victim

@rekter..Many spammers have increased in the forums.  I am sharing my ideas to eliminate spammers in the forum:

1.The rating cheater in the forum has increased.  I have heard many people open groups and exchange ratings.  I want the payment for the rating to be stopped.

2.New members in the forum need to be well verified.  Many people post and copy inferior.  Payment will be made after 1 month for those who open the account first, and the same system should be introduced.  As a result you will see a lot of spammers will be reduced.

3.Many people use VPN repeatedly to open an account with one phone.  This aspect should be well monitored by moderators.

4.Moderators should check the posts of all members every week.  This will catch many spammers.

• +3 1

Yes you have shared good information 

I must tell you that if you wants to be protect from scammers 

I think that it will be beneficial if we should try to create usefull and helpfull suggestions 

It's be best if moderators should detect scammers and ban their account 

I believe that forum should give only benefit to members who are working and sharing valueable content 

20 hours ago, rekter said:

Upgrading to moderators would work, but i am guessing that they would want to be careful who to promote. Power corrupts and goes to head easily. People could turn trigger happy with their new powers.

I'll be one of the first to REFUSE this offer should this ever happen. I am pretty much aware of what I'll do once I get to have that kind of power: the number of posts in this forum might get to be reduced by more than half. Pretty much everyone else won't like what I'll do 😂 . Yeah, I admit I might get trigger happy indeed, so no thanks.

20 hours ago, rekter said:

I am liking this idea of unlocking features by rank especially for btc. Something like this could really work if people were reporting accounts actively. And if cheaters would keep getting trough they could always just rise the rank for it.

What I gave above is only an example, we can improve this idea as we go on with this discussion. For example, we can set the bar even higher with BTC payments, with only Hero members and above getting to unlock this feature. Or only Full members and up only get paid 50 tokens for creating topics.

18 hours ago, Whited35 said:

I appreciate the ideas proposed by @kyoukage01 I just checked his whole ideas, pretty cool but in case of activity based proposal, my opinion is quite different. Despite the member ranks on forum, active members to visit forum regularly(multiple times in a day, not come--complete 20 tasks--rush away principle😂) and contributing honestly will have equal opportunity to get rewarded. I am telling so because newly joined members will always seek the motivation and if all members are equally paid according to their quality contributions, it will be fair enough and scientific too. Higher ranked members would have other benefits like they can be hired for topic edit, spam topic remove and copied posts report/remove tasks. Also you know, Bounties are their to judge members according to the ranks. 

I think I am getting what @Whited35 is trying to point out here. This would be similar to what some other cryptocurrency forums have set up, like this one:

https://www.altcoinstalks.com/index.php?topic=124991.0

https://www.altcoinstalks.com/index.php?topic=9231.0

(For members unfamiliar with this forum, you might be surprised at their mod list 😉 .)

Why didn't Cryptotalk adopted a similar setup when it was created more than a year ago? Who knows, maybe there was a need to make this forum simpler and more user-friendly.

18 hours ago, Whited35 said:

I am still wondering now, they were still there to combat against scammers when DLRS airdrop was announced by Yobit. I never thought limited moderators would be able to revert forum at its shape in a very short duration🤐

Moderators have other things to do, probably like tending to the aforementioned link and Bitcointalk. I don't know (nor willing to compute) by how much percentage the regular members have contributed to the spam reductions, but I'll bet it is a significant number. In short, the forum got help from regular members in reducing spam.

Edited by kyoukage01
  • +5 2

New to the Cryptotalk forum? Here's something that might help you get started:

https://cryptotalk.org/topic/24401-forum-tutorials-tips-and-tricks-for-newbies-compilation/

17 hours ago, Cleaner said:

4.Moderators should check the posts of all members every week.  This will catch many spammers.

Topics are okay but not all replies can be read by moderators that's why report post feature is there to contribute moderators. We are here to discuss, how spam fighters could be recognized by forum for the contribution approach. 

15 minutes ago, kyoukage01 said:

I'll be one of the first to REFUSE this offer should this ever happen. I am pretty much aware of what I'll do once I get to have that kind of power: the number of posts in this forum might get to be reduced by more than half.

The same amounts of users would get suspended as well 🤣🤣 !

16 minutes ago, kyoukage01 said:

I think I am getting what @Whited35 is trying to point out here. This would be similar to what some other cryptocurrency forums have set up, like this one:

https://www.altcoinstalks.com/index.php?topic=124991.0

https://www.altcoinstalks.com/index.php?topic=9231.0

Exactly, I got inspired from this. @kyoukage01 I would like to thank for this detection 😜! It is fair enough for both member's and forum's life. Two of my most loved moderators were already recognized there by me before joining this forum.

27 minutes ago, kyoukage01 said:

Moderators have other things to do, probably like tending to the aforementioned link and Bitcointalk. I don't know (nor willing to compute) by how much percentage the regular members have contributed to the spam reductions, but I'll bet it is a significant number.

True contributors on this forum were still there to help moderators as well. 

• +3 1
  • +4 1

5 minutes ago, Whited35 said:

Topics are okay but not all replies can be read by moderators that's why report post feature is there to contribute moderators. We are here to discuss, how spam fighters could be recognized by forum for the contribution approach

I know it is not possible to read all post moderators.  However, the payment of new members should be paid after posting 500.  This will reduce the number of spammers in the forum.  Because spammers can never survive in the forum.  Do you have anything to say about this payment system?

• Useful or interesting 1

49 minutes ago, Cleaner said:

I know it is not possible to read all post moderators.  However, the payment of new members should be paid after posting 500.  This will reduce the number of spammers in the forum.  Because spammers can never survive in the forum.  Do you have anything to say about this payment system?

Yes, I proposed the activity based payment system like Altcoinstalks and I have already shared my ideas in previous replies. Kindly have a look at them. Increasing post counts to the new members was already suggested to the forum administration but administrator has replied, they have another plans for the consideration. Hopefully, they have unique plans to keep up forum. 

• +1 1

7 minutes ago, Whited35 said:

Hopefully, they have unique plans to keep up forum. 

Of course, forum administrators may have a better plan for them.  They will probably implement their plan very soon.  However, many members are playing a role in eliminating spammers in the forum.  I want all members to play a role in identifying spammers

• +1 1

We must combat the senders of spam in all ways by reporting them about any violation they present. We must all help and cooperate with mediators to get rid of these violators.

On 1/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, rekter said:

Phone number verification? a KYC? More moderators or assistant moderators?

Not many will be willing to do some sort of verification realising some sensitive information like phone number more personal stuffs. And even if there should be such, it will only take a more complex process of getting more mobile numbers for spammers and multi account users; the most I have seen in similar community is telegram verification at Ravain review platform; to me, those wouldn't necessarily curb spamming effectively.

I think another good approach like you mentioned is getting more moderators or not that, getting more trusted and established members in each locale to act as member-moderator with some good features (not up to moderators) but to a level where it would be so effective to nab spammers with little help of the moderators.

Or more directly, having more moderators peculiar to each section of the forum just like Altcointalks for a perfect example. 

• +2 1

My Altcointalks username —° Raqeebzy

On 1/12/2021 at 12:57 PM, Whited35 said:

Exactly, I got inspired from this. @kyoukage01 I would like to thank for this detection 😜! It is fair enough for both member's and forum's life. Two of my most loved moderators were already recognized there by me before joining this forum.

A friend of mine recommended that forum to me some time ago and took the time to read some of its pinned topics. I just remembered.

As I have said, Cryptotalk would have adopted the other forums' payment systems when creating this forum, but they didn't opt to. So now we are stuck with the current system. What I have proposed is based on the notion of improving the system we now have, not a complete overhaul.

And the forum has a sore need to act soon. I mean, look at this.

Spoiler

image.png.427c50a8b4c18e418c787b4c2f221050.png

I already reported the offending topic in the spoiler.

https://cryptotalk.org/topic/4748-report-plagiarism-copypaste/?do=findComment&comment=12374518

WTH!!? More than 50 'likes' and 20 pages of posts and nobody realized yet that this was a copy/pasted shitpost for more than a year!!? Okay, I admit that this is also a miss on my part, I should've noticed it sooner.

The example above is a highlight of the imperfections of our current system that allows topics like the one inside the spoiler. If we don't have the manpower to verify each and every posts, either we make every detection system automatic (which may be prone to unintentional 'friendly fire'), or use a payment system that will make it difficult for spammers to get paid immediately. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but that's just how important this issue must be resolved.

EDIT: Since I don't want to bump this topic, I'll edit this one instead. And I would like to add another suggestion that high ranking members and/or moderators are the only ones allowed to give ratings to prevent reputation cheaters who flood the forum to get those BTC payments. Actually, this has already been suggested on another topic, I just can't remember where...

Edited by kyoukage01
  • +3 2

https://cryptotalk.org/topic/24401-forum-tutorials-tips-and-tricks-for-newbies-compilation/

23 hours ago, kyoukage01 said:

A friend of mine recommended that forum to me some time ago and took the time to read some of its pinned topics. I just remembered.

Oh, I was already there before joining this forum 😂 ! The site architecture is not as good as this forum but as the older forum than Cryptotalk, they have already added some interesting features and I got attracted towards their fair reward distribution system.

I do not say like Cryptotalk has to implement exactly the same system but personally I expect some correction in the current payment methods so that scammers will be no longer rushing away by taking the wrong benefits. 

23 hours ago, kyoukage01 said:

WTH!!? More than 50 'likes' and 20 pages of posts and nobody realized yet that this was a copy/pasted shitpost!!?

More likely, all requests are processed by moderators now and yes this is the ongoing problem on forum due to scammers. 

On 1/11/2021 at 6:58 AM, Whited35 said:

Reputation-based BTC payments should be immediately stopped because even existing old members started to create multi accounts to spam reputation to expect full payments. Don't laugh, I can see them replying even to your this topic. Unfortunately, they have not even realized their mistake after the last payment disconnection. 

Honestly i completely second to these appeal, many active and hard working members keep getting their rewards less because spammers have hijacked the whole btc payments to their advantage 

The complete elimination of spam is a complicated but not impossible task and we have a great responsibility in that since we can help the moderators by reporting all kinds of spam that we find in the forum and thus we would be contributing our bit and it would be much more difficult for spammers to act

Well theres someone that provided something really useful that can be checked whether if the posts or a topic was copy pasted or not with a unique word checking and everything but however i forgot who provided this important topic but however ill try to update this and will try to share the topic i saw.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:32 AM, Orbis said:

Well theres someone that provided something really useful that can be checked whether if the posts or a topic was copy pasted or not with a unique word checking and everything but however i forgot who provided this important topic but however ill try to update this and will try to share the topic i saw.

That topic you're probably talking about is pinned, how come you forget where you saw it?

https://cryptotalk.org/topic/4748-report-plagiarism-copypaste/

You thought that topic's enough deterrent? Despite the increased number of volunteers reporting spam recently, we are still getting a lot of shitposts on this forum. What we need is something that will systematically remove those spam messages and prevent those spammers from having motivation just because payments on this forum is comparatively "easy to get" when faced off against other cryptocurrency forums. I think this topic is created for that reason.

Edited by kyoukage01
  • +2 1

The second campaign approach is effective today no need of suggestion on how to curtail spamming. The present payment means had arrested the challenges of spammers to the bearest level. Because a spammer may be posting useless contents this won't count until a week time after checkmating the work by moderators. While this stage of evaluation ensure only valuables posts get paid accordingly

In my own opinion the best way to combat spamming and cheaters is that, before any person to register on this forum he has to undergo KYC verification and secondly such person has to complete 200 post and each post is subject to asesment and verification before duely approve as a register member i think if this method is carefully adopted this will not only reduce the rate of spamming post but will drive out any spamming post that intends to cause harm to the forum.

11 hours ago, Guru2050 said:

The second campaign approach is effective today no need of suggestion on how to curtail spamming. The present payment means had arrested the challenges of spammers to the bearest level. Because a spammer may be posting useless contents this won't count until a week time after checkmating the work by moderators. While this stage of evaluation ensure only valuables posts get paid accordingly

No need? What are you talking about? There are literally more spammers and bots then we can report.

So maybe explain to me why would anyone be against new ways to combat the spam? And why do you care what challenges this brings to spammers? Spam is bringing the value of the whole forum down and when that happens, it will hurt everyone in here. So why shouldn't we try to get rid of bots?

• +2 1

On 1/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, Guru2050 said:

That's not quite the case if you ask for my opinion. If intact there has been massive increase in the rate of spams and other violations especially reputation cheat. 

I personally noticed this ever since the DLRS aidrop periods which having 100 useful posts on the forum is a prerequisite to benefit from the aidrop. Though there were interesting additions in members of the forum, a quite brilliant ones but I can say authoritatively, there are more bads than goods. Leave the beginner section and go through the others to confirm my claims.

What would you say about spam comments under the good topics?. Obviously, they will get paid before being noticed at all. 

• +4 1

My Altcointalks username —° Raqeebzy

Frankly, I have repeatedly stated my views and opinions on many topics in the CryptoTalk forum regarding this issue. For this forum, which you mean by spamming, of course, there will be some solutions. What I put the most and care about in this regard is that loyal members of the CryptoTalk forum must report immediately for every spam post. In addition, it will be useful to give negative points for every spam post you report.

• +1 1

We must discover a way by which we can inhibit scammers to make low quality posts. I do not think that we need more moderators to handle the situation. There are thousands of active members in this forum, if everyone get started to report at least two low quality posters, then you will see none of the scammer here. In this way, there will be no need of document verification.