Is it true our data will be lost if all nodes are damaged across the blockchain system? - Crypto World - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
ShiNorton

Is it true our data will be lost if all nodes are damaged across the blockchain system?

Friends, I'm confused about Blockchain technology. I asked these questions in many online forums but I've not found a great explanation yet. I found a topic when searching in CTT forum but a senior member has only answered data is stored in blockchain & it's not enough.I hope CTT forum members will make me happy by answering these technical questions.
My questions are..
1) In blockchain technology there is no central server. So where are our data asset, price, wallet address stored?
2) If data is stored in all nodes across the blockchain system, is it true our data will be lost if all nodes are damaged across the blockchain system? Note: Just a theory to assume all nodes are damaged. 

• Useful or interesting 1
  • +2 1
  • +3 1

1) you can download the blockchain from many sources. Running a full node means you have downloaded the bitcoin software along with all the blockchain, synchronized and validating.

2) even if all nodes fail together by some mistake in an update or anything, the developers can take it offline until the problem is fixed. Bugs can happen, there is no code that is perfect however it will be patched in no time. Bitcoin is running almost flawless for 12 years.

One time in the early Bitcoin days, there was an event called value overflow incident. Satoshi dealt with it in just a couple of hours when he was the only dev. Look it up it will give you an idea. 

Edited by Sykkuno

Even if the Blockchains has smaller number of nodes  there will be no chance of damage of nodes, as there is no posssible way that could affect and deletes data from all nodes in reality.

For the answer of your theoretical question the answer is yes as if all datas gets deleted from millions of computer across the world then such thing may happen. (I repeat, its not possible).

But if there is loophole in Blockchain then it may be misued causing hammer to network.

• +3 2

NOTHING I SAY IS FINANCIAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD USE YOUR MIND ,FOR YOUR MONEY,

1 hour ago, Sykkuno said:

) even if all nodes fail together by some mistake in an update or anything, the developers can take it offline until the problem is fixed

If all nodes  are failed then where will be our data?  How develppers  will restore them because there is no central server? 

46 minutes ago, Ridam said:

Even if the Blockchains has smaller number of nodes  there will be no chance of damage of nodes, as there is no posssible way that could affect and deletes data from all nodes in reality.

Thanks for your comment sir. That's why I supposed a hypothetical  case to understand this  in depth. It means our data are stored in nodes where blockchain software are installed?  By chance if all nodes are failed,  our data will be erased? 

6 minutes ago, ShiNorton said:

If all nodes  are failed then where will be our data?  How develppers  will restore them because there is no central server? 

I think there is the bootstrap.dat file that is available for download from a torrent but it is not updated regularly so it will be missing days of blocks. However, this is very technical scenario of a collapse for Bitcoin that would make the network useless and has never happened in any cryptocurrency. Also it will require to synch to other nodes so what you ask is something only a Bitcoin dev could answer.

The blockchain ensures that transactions on the network are continuously recorded. The system is similar to a database, but using a decentralized ledger instead of the traditional end-to-end allows each participant on the network to have their own copy of the ledger and view all transactions. Each block is protected by an encrypted reference associated with the previous block, so it is very difficult to attack or hack the system.

Blockchain of every transaction, payment; We can think of it as the digital world in which it is digitally recorded and signed, to be verified, stored and shared. In this system, each step of the blockchain is transparent and secure, as each change requires consensus. This ensures that the system is highly reliable and eliminates risks.
It is for this reason that all chains in the blockchain are almost impossible to damage.

14 hours ago, ibrahim halil anaç said:

The blockchain ensures that transactions on the network are continuously recorded. The system is similar to a database, but using a decentralized ledger instead of the traditional end-to-end allows each participant on the network to have their own copy of the ledger and view all transactions.

Okay thanks. Question is how & where is our data recorded?  I've already found this answer in Google.  I think you've copied this answer from online resources. I'm waiting satisfying answers for my questions in my topic.  I'm again waiting genuine explanation. 

On 1/4/2021 at 2:36 AM, ShiNorton said:

Friends, I'm confused about Blockchain technology. I asked these questions in many online forums but I've not found a great explanation yet. I found a topic when searching in CTT forum but a senior member has only answered data is stored in blockchain & it's not enough.I hope CTT forum members will make me happy by answering these technical questions.
My questions are..
1) In blockchain technology there is no central server. So where are our data asset, price, wallet address stored?
2) If data is stored in all nodes across the blockchain system, is it true our data will be lost if all nodes are damaged across the blockchain system? Note: Just a theory to assume all nodes are damaged. 

Blockchain technology is a kind of  new technology that emerges in the last decade all transactions including wallet addresses, price, and others all  transactions are recorded on a block of chains as new transaction came it is stored on a new chain so it is not possible for a chain to get damaged the way blockchain stores data is different from other database storage.

I am definite there is not a single chance for all nodes of Bitcoin to go offline together. The number of nodes running  is around 100,000 . This is too much to go offline. But there may be other problems because a large percentage of these nodes are not updated and running versions of bitcoin software that still contain vulnerabilities.

Edited by percare

Hi @ShiNorton , thanks for you constructive questions. I checked all the replies to your topic but I have not found the proper answers there. Let me answer your questions one by one.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:21 PM, ShiNorton said:

Once new block is added to the existing chain, all the copies of data from the new block will be shared to the system of all participating nodes so data is equally distributed and stored in all the participating nodes. So experts are referring this technology is as a distributed ledger technology

On 1/4/2021 at 4:21 PM, ShiNorton said:

Yes, it will be lost and in the true sense, I must expose the truth here, immutability of the blockchain is just a myth because if all nodes within the certain blockchain network goes offline or got damaged to remove all the data from the software, no block will be synced across the network and blockchain data will be no longer accessible. 

But keep it in your mind, if there are 10000 of nodes within a blockchain network and 9999 nodes got damaged and only one is survived then still the data from the blockchain is accessible. Kindly check my already created topic here. 

• +5 1

1 hour ago, Whited35 said:

Yes, it will be lost and in the true sense, I must expose the truth here, immutability of the blockchain is just a myth because if all nodes within the certain blockchain network goes offline or got damaged to remove all the data from the software, no block will be synced across the network and blockchain data will be no longer accessible. 

But keep it in your mind, if there are 10000 of nodes within a blockchain network and 9999 nodes got damaged and only one is survived then still the data from the blockchain is accessible. Kindly check my already created topic here. 

Thanks a lot brother for describing in excellent way. I'm clear now but why people are saying blockchain data can never be erased?  If I'm not mistaken small blockchain network will be destroyed if all nodes are collapsed? Is it safer to use small size blockchain network for using coins? 

• +2 1

21 minutes ago, ShiNorton said:

Thanks a lot brother for describing in excellent way. I'm clear now but why people are saying blockchain data can never be erased?  If I'm not mistaken small blockchain network will be destroyed if all nodes are collapsed? Is it safer to use small size blockchain network for using coins? 

First of all, make sure, have you checked my topic link attached to my previous reply ? If not, kindly do because I have explained about blockchain technology in depth. People have said, immutability feature of Bitcoin because assumption is, not all participating nodes will be damaged, at least one surviving nodes will be hosting the copy of blockchain data.

For small size blockchain network, yes it can be possible because limited participating nodes will not share much computing power. If all nodes extracted from the blockchain system, blockchain data will be no longer accessible that's the fact. 

• +3 1
  • +5 1

On 1/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, percare said:

The number of nodes running  is around 100,000 . This is too much to go offline. But there may be other problems because a large percentage of these nodes are not updated and running version

Thanks sir now I know real reasons behind storage of our data in blockchain. Single online node is helpful I got it. 

20 hours ago, Whited35 said:

First of all, make sure, have you checked my topic link attached to my previous reply ? If not, kindly do because I have explained about blockchain technology in depth. People have said, immutability feature of Bitcoin because assumption is, not all participating nodes will be damaged, at least one surviving nodes will be hosting the copy of blockchain data.

For small size blockchain network, yes it can be possible because limited participating nodes will not share much computing power. If all nodes extracted from the blockchain system, blockchain data will be no longer accessible that's the fact. 

You made me clear from this comment & now I've depth concept about data of blockchain network and data storage mechanism. I never thought i'll get this kinds of top answer from CTT forum members. 

• Useful or interesting 2

This is something that I never considered given the fact that it is probably impossible, and if there is an event that will bring all Bitcoin nodes down, then probably all communications in the world will be down, as something disastrous in a planetary scale would have happened. My knowledge is that the software can be downloaded and when it is run, the whole blockchain is downloaded and synced with the rest running nodes and it takes many days for this procedure. So the blockchain is downloaded when you run a node and you have a copy. Probably you can backup at a certain block number too.

On 1/4/2021 at 3:36 PM, ShiNorton said:

these technical questions.
My questions are..

I am not a developer or any I. T expert but what I know is learned through articles and some personal experience.our data is store in system where the system is have nodes all data is distributed equally in all the nkdes so you have data from any node. Well if the theoretically if all the nodes are damage then system will be stop working and developer put the network off-line and work on it to recover the damage nodes. This will take hours so before that you can't check any node of network. 

On 1/4/2021 at 11:36 AM, ShiNorton said:

My questions are..

Offcourse nodes are like the signature of most crypto operations, receiving and sending of coins are all done through nodes. 

Therefore, if nodes are lost then i believe the coins will most likely go with them. 

Thank you, my friend and all friends for your cooperation in explaining the answer. An important and practical topic, but in fact it is more than I can understand.

The blockchain is powerful because it is running and sychronizing with data coming from thousands of computers that run Bitcoin software together, using the same rules. I haven't thought about this question, because there is a bigger question raised. This is how will it be possible for all nodes to be damaged, I can't find of any logical way this can happen.

When everything is finished in the blockchain history then you lost your money if you lost your 2FA and you ave your all data their then you are also lost everything their and this is not good. Crypto is a online business and it is so much secure and good.

BetFury                                                   

🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹

Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                 

Yes this is right and I want to tell you that when you enter in any blockchain you should do to be careful because there are many chances to lose your data and lose your money easily because there are many chance of the scam in the blockchain

On 1/17/2021 at 4:31 PM, abdullah553 said:

Yes, we can lose a lot of money if the blockchain backups are dropped. There should be an order for the emergency, and I think it exists.

Sir I have talked about blockchain network. I can't understand what you said. I wish you guide me here friends. 

On 1/17/2021 at 10:59 PM, chambers said:

We pary these never happens!!! 

But it's actually very true, most cryptocurrencies operates on the bases of nodes but sending and receiving, which means if all these nodes are lost then our data and coins will be lost also

Thanks for your answers. Now I'm clear that nodes are important components for blockchain because without nodes our data in blockchain won't exist & failure of all nodes will destroy our data. 

If there is a possibility for that to happen, then the blockchain of Bitcoin will be the least of your worries as it will mean communications went down all over the world, following an event that will be catastrophic for the planet and the human race. Thus, it will not be your main concern, but it will be survival, if this will be possible. Consuming our time and thinking for this question is not advancing quality and constructive dialogue.

Edited by yonkii

On 1/4/2021 at 11:36 AM, ShiNorton said:

2) If data is stored in all nodes across the blockchain system, is it true our data will be lost if all nodes are damaged across the blockchain system? 

If it is stored, then it means that it is not pure. If it was corrupt, it was possible that several facts and several scandals would have become evident to us. Blockchain technology is among the networks that cannot be hacked with such ease.
There is such a thing as a database data base that stores your information, personal statuses, and what you do every time.

I am not an expert, but if you take an answer from one of us and install it, you will reach the result you want.

Учитесь, учитесь и учитесь на своих ошибках :classic_smile:

On 3/23/2021 at 4:00 PM, pablomarwan said:

There is such a thing as a database data base that stores your information, personal statuses, and what you do every time.

Sir,  I don't understand what are you telling?  I will highly appropriate If you describe it again?  I have got some good answers from the expert members in this forum but I still love for listening the good ideas for the concern raised in OP. 

On 1/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, yonkii said:

If there is a possibility for that to happen, then the blockchain of Bitcoin will be the least of your worries as it will mean communications went down all over the world, following an event that will be catastrophic for the planet and the human race.

Kindly remember the mechanism of blockchain how does it work. Data in the blockchain is synced by making the chain between participating nodes it means no central server for the data storage and internet act as the medium to pass the data between the cluster of computer and hence everything will be synced.