An Irish man sentenced to 3 years in prison over 2.5 million dollar crypto SIM hack - Crypto World - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
BrolySSJ

An Irish man sentenced to 3 years in prison over 2.5 million dollar crypto SIM hack

We all know that crypto scams are very common and with how increasingly common it is there are major security measures that we have to take in order to ensure that all of our funds stay safe. Conor Freeman, a 21 year old man, was sentenced to a three year prison sentence in the Dublin Criminal Court on account of his crypto scam, with which he was able to deceive people out of over 2 million US dollars. When Conor was arrested he had 142.7 bitcoins in his possession. 

What interested me about this case though was the nature of the scam, as it was done through a SIM card hack. The common doubling scams and the ransomware are known to all of us, however the nature of this scam was much more intricate. It seems that the accused, together with six others, searched for potential victims on social media and then obtained their email addresses and cell phone numbers through the social media platforms. They then duplicated the SIM card of the victim using mobile operator contacts, and as a result were able to recover the passwords and so forth. 

When arrested, Freeman had already spent over 150k US dollars. This is the time for all of us to be very careful with crypto as it seems that this is a new scam method that i have never heard about before. It is also very important to keep all passwords away from your phone as these can be hacked. Such passwords are better kept as a hard copy to prevent this from happening to anyone else in the future. Please be very careful. 

The full link to the article is as follows:

https://www.coindesk.com/irish-man-prison-million-crypto-sim-hack

• Useful or interesting 5
  • +1 3
  • +2 2
  • +3 4
  • +4 2
  • +5 1

Looking to earn through posting on forums? Join Beermoneyforum where you can earn up to $12 daily for your posts! Follow this link to get started: https://www.beermoneyforum.com/?inv=126648

A simple, awesome faucet with payouts in BTC and TRX. Join now at https://moremoney.io/?ref=72749

Join this awesome forum for pay per post rewards: https://bizdustry.com/?referrer=5769

I think that a period of 3 years is not a sufficient penalty. The penalties for scammers

must be tightened but the most important matter is up to us. We must be more careful

and vigilant and keep the passwords and private keys in a safe place not connected to

the Internet and not give our information to anyone and we must also conduct an

in-depth search for any project before investing in it

• Useful or interesting 2
  • +1 2
  • +2 2

Excellent information. And there I can take the importance of participating in the forum and the need to keep updated. This is proof that our personal data such as full names, emails or cell phone numbers should not be entrusted to anyone who does not request them, much less our personal documents or so-called KYC. Thank you for bringing such valuable information to the forum!

• Useful or interesting 2
  • +1 1
  • +2 2
  • +4 1

Always act with conscience and a sense of camaraderie and every time you make a post, stop for a moment and review in detail the posts of other members around you, so that you can give your respective reaction. :classic_wink:

On 11/19/2020 at 2:06 PM, BrolySSJ said:

Conor Freeman, a 21 year old man, was sentenced to a three year prison sentence

Maybe he was not like his surname. Not free anymore as he got arrested for this scam that is started to happen too often. It is also a reason why we are not do KYC and do not give our private details in social media that can be leak and criminals can find ways to bypass all the security and even steal our sim cards to empty our wallets.

• +1 2
  • +2 1

Because of this crypto  is infamous among common forks who put dirt at crypto is illegal and used to fraud(Scam)  people. He is young man who can earn good earning in crypto but he took the wrong path. Now he serving in jail if he put that genius mind in right place he could be earning good amount of profit. As a crypto user I always hate scammers and want law enforcement to deal with them strictly. 

• Useful or interesting 3
  • +1 1
  • +2 1

1 minute ago, Syedbesharat said:

Because of this crypto  is infamous among common forks who put dirt at crypto is illegal and used to fraud(Scam)  people. He is young man who can earn good earning in crypto but he took the wrong path. Now he serving in jail if he put that genius mind in right place he could be earning good amount of profit. As a crypto user I always hate scammers and want law enforcement to deal with them strictly. 

Yes you are right this world is full of tanlanted people but they find easy ways to became rich and the easyest way to became rich just stole other people money instead they got arrested for illage work and and serve their rest of their live their .

I know it's wrong, but they're geniuses, imagine what that group of people could achieve if they will use that engineer for something good?

Returning to the topic, that is why it is important to use all the security filters that a platform can offer, 2Fa, voice verification, sms or e-mail codes, I particularly used facial verification on the platforms that allow it.

• Useful or interesting 1
  • +1 1
  • +2 1

On 11/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, BrolySSJ said:

What interested me about this case though was the nature of the scam, as it was done through a SIM card hack. The common doubling scams and the ransomware are known to all of us, however the nature of this scam was much more intricate. It seems that the accused, together with six others, searched for potential victims on social media and then obtained their email addresses and cell phone numbers through the social media platforms. They then duplicated the SIM card of the victim using mobile operator contacts, and as a result were able to recover the passwords and so forth. 

These is thesame scam tricks used by cyber criminals to defraud individuals of their hard earned funds, it's always necessary to take extra security measures in order to escape scams like these

• +1 1

As I have already mentioned in my many posts that anything related to the technology can be hacked because Hackers thinks many steps ahead from programmer.

Youtube ChannelSocial media Assets, Websites and Plugins are available in a very reasonable price 😇 TALK Token is also acceptable.

The Sim swap attack is not a new attack but one that is for many years in crypto and not only for crypto but it can empty that bank accounts too. It is not only about crypto then. The idiot scammers that do that they get caught of course as they do not understand how everything works and they can't know everything. All these thefts have been found and arrested. From our part we can't do something about this, except not having too much crypto in the mobile hot wallets.

Breakout has become a hobby for some, even a profession. Their number increases every year, especially the number of attacks that go behind the electronic platforms, not only people and small individuals, although if they want more profit they target the smaller group.
For caution, the best of these days is that you do not know what may happen to you, nor do you know what you must do in order to stay safe. Because you have endless gaps. So let's go back to old phones that will help. I'm kidding, but it really got a little difficult

• +1 1

Учитесь, учитесь и учитесь на своих ошибках :classic_smile:

It is becoming a trend for criminals to steal with sim attacks crypto from mobile wallets, but this one is a very big that got to the thief too many Bitcoin, so it is for the best of all he was caught and it would be great to return the stolen Bitcoin to the owners.

On 11/19/2020 at 2:06 PM, BrolySSJ said:

It is also very important to keep all passwords away from your phone as these can be hacked.

Very good advice. I think we all make this mistake and hold some passwords in our mobile phones but how is this safe, if a hacker can take control of it. We should be looking more into how we have everything secured. Too many passwords, private keys and more, I wonder if we have too many problems to think about.

• +1 1

I am happy they caught this criminal and justice will be served in this crime. It is very important to remember that our mobile phones can get hacked and this easy as with the sim method this criminal used so we don't need to have anything valuable there. I fear for 2fa too and I expect to find something to be protected from an attack that could give the 2fa pass to someone.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:06 AM, BrolySSJ said:

We all know that crypto scams are very common and with how increasingly common it is there are major security measures that we have to take in order to ensure that all of our funds stay safe. Conor Freeman, a 21 year old man, was sentenced to a three year prison sentence in the Dublin Criminal Court on account of his crypto scam, with which he was able to deceive people out of over 2 million US dollars. When Conor was arrested he had 142.7 bitcoins in his possession. 

When arrested, Freeman had already spent over 150k US dollars. This is the time for all of us to be very careful with crypto as it seems that this is a new scam method that i have never heard about before. It is also very important to keep all passwords away from your phone as these can be hacked. Such passwords are better kept as a hard copy to prevent this from happening to anyone else in the future. Please be very careful. 

Certainly it is something very delicate and that we must be very careful, it is really incredible how this type of thing happens, but the good thing about the case is that he was captured and sentenced to jail for the crime, I think it is good to always correct this type of abuse and that consider how dangerous it is.

Neither had I heard of this type of scam, it is true that one must be careful, but I believe that as security measures change and increase, thieves also upgrade to evade them, I also did not know that there was a law against the theft of crypto-money.

Really, how was he found I mean I think with crypto currency its hard to understand , we need to learn that the use of crypto currency that we have to really be really enomouse there is a lot of work to which we need to grow with and be sure of it, there is a lot of work to which we need to form such growth , we need to keep work perfectly insisted and we need to identify such curious stories, and I need them 

This is good that in any case the person is always seized and imprisoned because this makes it appear that what they commit is a crime, and this is good to say no to what is wrong, but nevertheless it is sad that these things come in.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:06 AM, BrolySSJ said:

Every day technology and computer hackers surprise us and this despite being somewhat delicate it is difficult to know how to avoid it or to know who are those who do these things and how they will do it so we must always be careful in what we do for internet or in our day to day.

• +3 1

I think that such people should not be sentenced to prison, they are so clever and cunning and the police should take advantage of that. if someone is cunning enough to find a way to steal from the cards system then he is smart enough to prevent  stealing from it, therefore I think these people should be hired as safety controllers to check that the system is unbreakable and cannot be hacked. 

• +4 1

So he given the Bitcoin back then? If it is just 3 years he will be out after one and if he didn't give them back it would be very bad to get out this easy. The sim hack scam is something I have heard years ago about a man losing a million in crypto from his mobile wallet. We don't need to hold too much on hot wallets, anything can happen, we have to be very careful what we do.

We know very well that this field has opened many doors for fraudsters because it is full of gains on the one hand and full of risks on the other hand.

Therefore, we must always be careful and make sure in every step we want to take and make sure and keep our passwords in external and safe papers and not give them to anyone.

• +2 1

cyber attacks on various forms do exist as on how theft will normally take to occur. hijacking sim card is quite new to me as on having to steal crypto as from their  identity. scammers do use different malicious ways as well to target their preys, as cyber attacks is quit open

Though anything related to technology can be hacked so cryptosystem is at 99.9% of not hacked and swiped of, so if someone is that cunning enough to steal through sim hack then we need to be more careful with our wallets.

Its quite good to see that hacking cryptocurrencies is actually seen as crime in these states. Because mostly in the countries without crypto legislation, hacking crypto is not seen as crime.