Core DeFi Concepts - Defi - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
Whited35

Core DeFi Concepts

PicsArt_10-24-05_12_40.thumb.jpg.1ebd75dddf21e704c90d15baf1a69e07.jpg

In the case of traditional financial systems, they are centrally regulated as central banks control the supply of money and financial institutions actively monitor customers' financial activities. Human beings by nature, always seek freedom, and hence cryptocurrency and Decentralized Finance(DeFi) systems were invented to give financial freedom to everyone.
Let's imagine, you should not have to open a bank account and you have full freedom to control your financial activities like savings amounts, tradings, loans, insurance, and many more. Your financial activities will be accessible worldwide just by using a smartphone/PC with an internet connection. Yes, these all things are now made possible with a modern DeFi system.  

1776540493_Screenshot(83).png.cf4c91d54db06fb0d28d420b44bfc48b.png

DeFi platforms are majorly based on the Ethereum blockchain network. Some of them also belong to other public blockchain networks but in this article, I am going to talk about Ethereum blockchain-based DeFi system. 
Before diving into a definitive guide to DeFi, you need to know some most important DeFi applications built on the Ethereum blockchain network which are responsible for operating services without middlemen on DeFi platforms and DEXes. 

• Smart Contract:-It is a self-executing contract in which codes are stored in blockchain for validation. It does not need middlemen as cryptography enforces it to perform the tasks.
  • DApp:-It is an open-source application build on the Ethereum blockchain network that runs in a distributed computing system(p2p network).

What is DeFi?
It is an open financial system and fastest-growing sectors based on a blockchain network with key characteristics like permissionless, non-custodial, and transparent. It has no middlemen or central authority so every activity is managed by decentralized applications like smart contracts and DApp. There is no single inventor of DeFi however the first major DeFi platform MakerDAO was created on the Ethereum blockchain network and Ethereum was invented by Vitalik Buterin.

1931658328_Screenshot(82).png.2dd776f5470baec6b628c63a5079021c.png

Once DeFi platforms are created, they are controlled by community members all around the world as information and data will be equally distributed to all participating nodes(a cluster of a computer) so there will be no single entity or person however core developers can be rolled out to fix the bugs on DApp that is another matter for discussions. According to current data, the total market cap of DeFi is $15 billion.

586791229_Screenshot(79).png.4660a97250c9b23d506018c4d9a7c439.png

What are the things which inspire users to trust DeFi ?
I'd like to write them pointwise so that you can easily get the crux of the matter.

• Cryptography in a blockchain network enforces smart contracts and DApp of DeFi to perform tasks based on the instruction provided and validated by a cluster of computers from community members all around the world so no human intervention is required.
  • It is open-source and code is transparent. Everyone has the opportunity to detect bugs on the smart contract. Additionally, all transaction records are public to all participating nodes.
  • It is permissionless that means all users have equal opportunity to access DeFi services from all around the world. Smart contracts handle everything so you need not trust anyone.

Comparison between DeFi and CeFi(Centralized Finance) 

483029969_Screenshot(80).png.c4988b4db752c9c433a6bd0520cfcc55.png

How does DeFi system work?

809267819_Screenshot(84).png.867fa418c06e8e17d31f359fb63bd8b9.png

Source:-rsk.co 

DeFi risks and challenges
DeFi sector is still in the experimental phase but more innovations are still going on. Here are some most notable risks and challenges for DeFi

• If a malicious user detects the bugs in smart contracts, he can easily drain out a huge amount from DeFi platform. Recent bZx DeFi platforms hack indicates the growing pain in DeFi space. 
  • If bugs are seen in DApp, fixing the issues is complicated as all users should update the application.
  • Criminals can misuse DeFi platforms to circulate the black money   

Conclusion:-Some downsides and risks are involved in DeFi but developers are working hard to make the safest architecture for DApps. In the future, I believe DeFi will be at the next level. 

P.S. Graphics and contents from this article can't be misused without prior permission from Cryptotalk forum and author.

Thank You ! 

• Useful or interesting 3
  • +3 3
  • +4 3
  • +5 12

In simple De-Fi looks upgrading Ce-Fi with Blockchain but the tech behind it is really great. People are comparing De-Fi with Ico of 2017 but it seems De-Fi won't fade away and will be rocking in coming days too.

De-Fi has completely changed the financing system as we don't need lengthy paperwork's and waiting for approval for financing services anymore. @Whited35 Your topics are very interactive and easier to understand.

• +1 3
  • +2 1
  • +3 2
  • +5 2

NOTHING I SAY IS FINANCIAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD USE YOUR MIND ,FOR YOUR MONEY,

1 hour ago, Ridam said:

De-Fi has completely changed the financing system as we don't need lengthy paperwork's and waiting for approval for financing services anymore. @Whited35 Your topics are very interactive and easier to understand.

@Ridam DeFi is still in experimental phase as smart contract from some platforms are getting hacked but have a look at the concept of DeFi creation that is itself the best to give us financial freedom. MakerDao has always been my favorite DeFi application and recently, vampire protocol i.e. Uniswap 😜 is grabbing my more attentions. Have you ever tried any DeFi platform yet? 

• +1 4
  • +2 1
  • +5 2

20 hours ago, Whited35 said:

What are the things which inspire users to trust DeFi ?
I'd like to write them pointwise so that you can easily get the crux of the matter.

• Cryptography in a blockchain network enforces smart contracts and DApp of DeFi to perform tasks based on the instruction provided and validated by a cluster of computers from community members all around the world so no human intervention is required.
  • It is open-source and code is transparent. Everyone has the opportunity to detect bugs on the smart contract. Additionally, all transaction records are public to all participating nodes.
  • It is permissionless that means all users have equal opportunity to access DeFi services from all around the world. Smart contracts handle everything so you need not trust anyone.

Well explained @Whited35 am not using DeFI most of the time because of the coins that i trade and invest, but everyday there are new DeFI tokens that are developed which are profitable and I'll have to invest in them. You explained perfectly about DeFI because i didn't know much. According your topic, it seems DeFI will be needed by many people in the future.

Edited by Calvinpriva
  • Useful or interesting 2
  • -1 1
  • +1 3
  • +2 1
  • +5 1

Time is the ultimate weapon!

17 hours ago, Calvinpriva said:

Well explained @Whited35 am not using DeFI most of the time because of the coins that i trade and invest, but everyday there are new DeFI tokens that are developed which are profitable and I'll have to invest in them. You explained perfectly about DeFI because i didn't know much. According your topic, it seems DeFI will be needed by many people in the future.

@CalvinprivaIt is open finance to break out the all barriers persisted in traditional financial system. Have a look at purpose off DeFi creation, aims to give financial freedoms to all people without trusting any middlemen as smart contracts are handling everything like DeFi loans agreements, savings, insurance, etc. Those who can not use financial services due to credit history, DeFi is the excellent option for them so it has growing popularity.  

• +2 2
  • +3 1
  • +4 1

Brilliant post sir. I've been reading your posts since first day in CTT forum. I've three words for this post. Attractive, easy to understand and excellent :)) I'm new to DeFi but I got ideas from your post clearly. Forum regulator,  I see your so many pinned posts. I do not know it is pinned to the top but IMHO it's cool for novices in Defi like me. 

Edited by ShiNorton
  • Useful or interesting 1
  • -3 1
  • +2 1
  • +3 1

4 hours ago, Whited35 said:

@CalvinprivaIt is open finance to break out the all barriers persisted in traditional financial system. Have a look at purpose off DeFi creation, aims to give financial freedoms to all people without trusting any middlemen as smart contracts are handling everything like DeFi loans agreements, savings, insurance, etc. Those who can not use financial services due to credit history, DeFi is the excellent option for them so it has growing popularity.  

@Whited35 Sure, defi aim is to give financial freedom and that's why a lot of people are now investing in defi tokens. Chainlink and DAI are the first coins to pull me in defi project, but now i see there are more profitable coins which i need to invest in them as well. 

• +1 1

Time is the ultimate weapon!

Dear friend @Whited35 thanks for this constructive topic. Really a great topic with best explanation, adding the images to reinforce the explanation is a good method. But there is a true about what happens right now in our life, I see that world digital eating the real world, the technology take a place on the top, where the traditional financial system will not be apt to arrives or compete with DeFi system.

Edited by tienda
  • +1 1
  • +2 1
  • +3 1

468x60.gif.2f5be3d8fc5caf83e400a2cd4d4ca105.gif

9 hours ago, ShiNorton said:

Forum regulator @Desais I see your so many pinned posts. I do not know it is pinned to the top but it's cool for novices in Defi like me. 

@ShiNorton Here are so many great content creators. So many constructive posts over here, just explore different sections on this forum. Low quality posts are removed from moderators. If you are still locating this my DeFi related post means moderators have not found any violation yet and pinning all the posts to the top may not seem good here 😉

6 hours ago, Calvinpriva said:

Chainlink and DAI are the first coins to pull me in defi project, but now i see there are more profitable coins which i need to invest in them as well. 

@Calvinpriva Be aware with scam DeFi tokens and platforms. Not an investment advise but if you are starter, you might give a look at MakerDAO and Compound. 

5 hours ago, tienda said:

Dear friend @Whited35 thanks for this constructive topic. Really a great topic with best explanation, adding the images to reinforce the explanation is a good method.

@tienda Perfect 🤩 ! I appreciate your thoughts and more DeFi-related tutorials are on the way, wait for it my friend. 

• +1 1
  • +5 2

52 minutes ago, eliottalderosn said:

here you mentioned that freedom could happen in DeFi systems but in that regard, aren't all cryptocurrencies have the same core? I mean it is not only a feature of Defi right?

Nope, not all cryptocurrencies are decentralized to give you financial freedom. Some of them belong to the private blockchain network with the limited participating nodes and organization or certain entity restricts the access to the blockchain. It would make the more sense if you asked about CeFi and DeFi, and I kindly ask you to check comparative chart in my topic. Centralized crypto exchange can still check your credit history and financial activities to ban or suspect which is not actually full financial freedom. 

• +1 2
  • +4 2

2 minutes ago, anh60p said:

Can you share some potential defi projects?

Your post is cryptic but anyway, I can not prescribe any DeFi project as forum restricts me to deliver financial advise. You can search more information about MakerDAO and Compound by taking in your account that DeFi sector is itself the riskiest. 

2 hours ago, Heisenberg 3301 said:

The project looks good. I am very much interested in the Defi projects, Maybe this will be my next choice

Also be aware of the fake projects. There are scammers, are already being prepared to steal your money. Weakly managed DApps can be a cause to loss your money forever because if a hacker detects the bugs in the smart contract, he might steal money easily. 

• +1 1

On 10/28/2020 at 3:45 PM, hungbingbong said:

defi is a trend in the future, but there are also a lot of defi projects that are fraudulent, so investors should consider carefully before investing.

Yes, bugs are appeared in the smart contracts of DeFi platforms but good news is, technology innovations have own pace. I hope there will be well-managed DApp after a release of Ethereum blockchain network which could put DeFi into the another phase. 

• -3 1

On 10/27/2020 at 11:25 PM, giangvan said:

good defi projects, defi is really potential for the time being. I am very interested in defi projects

Recently, some DeFi projects got hacked like Pickle finance. If you like the DeFi projects or the DeFi protocols, do not forget to check all the essential technical aspects first otherwise your locked fund in their smart contract will no longer be secure and safe. 

• +2 1

3 hours ago, zu1650336 said:

defi is a decentralized cryptocurrency network there are many kinds of defi project some are hacked and some are not so investors can be carefully invest in it .itbis the modest wsy of trading if you can like the defi projects and the defi protocoal so you do not forget to check all the essential technical espects first othetwise your fund locked it is technical so must be carefully work on it .

I can understand your texts but everyone may not. I kindly ask you to read the written texts once again. DeFi protocols are getting hacked due to the bugs in their smart contract but not all DeFi platforms are hackable. Popularities and strength of DeFi protocols are determined by the backed technology and crypto community. 

• +1 1
  • +2 1

For no particular reason, this is the first time I am reading the topic fully. It is awesome if it won't be repetitive like in other threads of yours.

DeFi in the much earlier days seems more like an hype that will die so sooner like the ICO craze in 2017. But I think we were wrong to think so all along. Decentralised finance perhaps is here to stay for a long time. I think these are the right moments to invest in DeFi currencies.

My Altcointalks username —° Raqeebzy

11 hours ago, Raqeebzy said:

It is awesome if it won't be repetitive like in other threads of yours.

@Raqeebzy It is not quite clear bother, what does it mean ? 

11 hours ago, Raqeebzy said:

Decentralised finance perhaps is here to stay for a long time. I think these are the right moments to invest in DeFi currencies.

We can just have a look at total amounts locked in the smart contract of DeFi platforms. People are trusting DeFi platforms but the problem is, DeFi platforms should be solid enough with all the essential security adjustments😉

41 minutes ago, Jonson Smith said:

I am very interested to know about Defi and I want to know a lot about this

@Jonson Smith If you are interested to know more about DeFi, so many resources are already available for you. If you are starter in the DeFi sector, you might get started from here https://academy.binance.com/en/articles/the-complete-beginners-guide-to-decentralized-finance-defi. Good luck and let me know if I can still help you. 

5 hours ago, Whited35 said:

@Raqeebzy It is not quite clear bother, what does it mean ? 

Don't mind me brother. I meant I don't want to sound repetitive with praise comments on your posts. It now a normal routine to have high quality posts from you, so gratitude and praise all time feels embarrassing and might attract punishment.

5 hours ago, Whited35 said:

We can just have a look at total amounts locked in the smart contract of DeFi platforms. People are trusting DeFi platforms but the problem is, DeFi platforms should be solid enough with all the essential security adjustments😉

Statistics of funds locked in DeFi keeps on increasing and a specific number now might not be valid in few days. You are right, security system needs to be more complex and tighter. Such staggering amount is just a perfect attractions to cyber attackers.

• +3 1

My Altcointalks username —° Raqeebzy

1 hour ago, Raqeebzy said:

Statistics of funds locked in DeFi keeps on increasing and a specific number now might not be valid in few days. You are right, security system needs to be more complex and tighter. Such staggering amount is just a perfect attractions to cyber attackers.

@Raqeebzy No worries 😉 ! I think you are also familiar with the recent news of Pickle Finance, a DeFi protocol hack to lose a huge amounts. Weakly managed platforms are getting hacked and unfortunately, once developers rolls out to fix the problem, all engaged users have to use upgraded version in the DeFi system so sometime it creates the extreme complexities. 

After having interaction with defi

I've three words for this post. Attractive, easy to understand and excellent :)) I'm new to DeFi but I got ideas from your post clearly

it has changed the mode of cryptocurrency in new way

• -1 1

21 hours ago, Veronica Stones said:

Thanks for this explanation. I have been receiving email about this defi stuff but didn't really know how it works. Now it is clear to me.

From where are you receiving the DeFi related stuff ? There are so many malicious platforms which are not actually DeFi platform and such platforms are often responsible to drain your hard earned money. Be extremely careful. 

• +3 1