What is the overclocking for GPU? - Mining - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
Crypto123

What is the overclocking for GPU?

Hi guys

I do mining and I have two GPU cards on my PC and my question is:
What is the overclocking for GPU and how can it be done? Is it safe on the card? Does it increase the speed of mining?

Pleas only expert answer.

I think the overclocking is to rise the gpu power to his maximum power and speed, I red it and I wanted to try it on my pc but it was risky 

I think the overclocking is done when the cpu is in the maximum performance. this is harmful for any pc I think . so I suggest you to mine in a safe way.

1 hour ago, Akbor said:

I think the overclocking is done when the cpu is in the maximum performance. this is harmful for any pc I think . so I suggest you to mine in a safe way.

This is what I really want to ask about, does that overclocking the GPU speed cause the device to harm or not, if it causes harm then it is better to work in safe mode as you say, especially since I understood that the speed increase does not increase the speed of mining a lot.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, Crypto123 said:

Hi guys

What is the overclocking for GPU and how can it be done? Is it safe on the card? Does it increase the speed of mining?

Be very careful using this method, and if you want my opinion, i'm not advising you to use this option, because it will damage your device, and it's not that profitable, it will not add a big amount of hash, so it's forbidden to burn your card for +0.01% hash.

CAUTION: Search and verify any information you receive, otherwise you will be just a puppet.

Best Faucet Of 2020 ; https://pipeflare.io/r/28q6

Made it by REDAMOUN With Love

47 minutes ago, redamoun said:

Be very careful using this method, and if you want my opinion, i'm not advising you to use this option, because it will damage your device, and it's not that profitable, it will not add a big amount of hash, so it's forbidden to burn your card for +0.01% hash.

Thank you my dear friend for this advice, yes I have heard from some members here about that it causes damage and the difference is not so much in profit so it is better to let it go without a speed break.

this option is not recommended. you may try it, may be you will get high performance then previous time, but it wll not work last long. your graphics card will be damaged and may burn soon. I tried to use maximum cpu power, while i try, my cpu gives low hash rate which is under 100 h/s. but when i use 3 core or 80% of power i am getting 172 h/s.

On 18.11.2019 at 19:43, Crypto123 said:

Hi guys

overclocking the memory frequency and the video core of course affects your video card not for the better, because. it is designed for softer work, roughly speaking, the electrons in your video chip begin to move faster, heating the chip itself and the surrounding components, the main aspects here are the temperature and the bandwidth of your card, keep the temperature normal and everything will be ok.

• Useful or interesting 1

Overclocking is the action of increasing a component's clock rate, running it at a higher speed than it was designed to run. This is usually applies to the CPU or GPU, but other components can also be overclocked.

Nowadays GPU overclocking is done by GUI software, such as MSI Afterburner. There you can choose clocks for the GPU itself, its memory, voltages and fan curve.r9-290-beamii.JPG.9250fe7b2e5293a3b580b82c7c6b04f1.JPGp104_eth.JPG.78b3fb1b2e71c5b66f1859d85217f080.JPG

I had uploaded several screenshots here before, so this is an example.

56 minutes ago, Nafim said:

The term overclocking means actions done faster than the actual time required

Yeah, so we basically tweak the time around us so computers could do more calculations for our profit. It's marvellous!

56 minutes ago, Nafim said:

Overclocking of CPUs and GPUs happen. 

You will jump with joy if I tell you that RAM can also be overclocked.

1 hour ago, geezer said:

Nowadays GPU overclocking is done by GUI software, such as MSI Afterburner

Thank you, my friend, for this great interaction, I already got this information. MSI Afterburner is much easier than the old method and makes overclocking very easy. You do not need much experience and can experiment until you get the good result. Greetings to you.

Just now, Crypto123 said:

Thank you, my friend, for this great interaction

You are welcome.

1 minute ago, Crypto123 said:

MSI Afterburner is much easier than the old method

What was the old method? I remember Rivatuner back in 2000s, which was basically the same and even before was Powerstrip.

Overlocking GPU means increasing clock rate of gpu and It will start runing it at higher speed than it was designed to run. Thus it will mine fast but it will also produce additional heat. And it required more cooling and care.

2 hours ago, Opinder said:

Overlocking GPU means increasing clock rate of gpu and It will start runing it at higher speed than it was designed to run. Thus it will mine fast but it will also produce additional heat. And it required more cooling and care.

over cloaking gpu increases also risk. i think it can burn my graphics card for over cloaking or using full or 100% power of my cpu or gpu. even though if i do then how much money i may gets as profits? very low. means you can buy a cup of coffee after mining 10 days to 1 month. i want to stay my gpu safe and cool that is why i never try to mine 24/7

4 minutes ago, Angel Medina said:

The exact definition of overcloking is as follows:

The practice known as overclocking aims to achieve a higher clock speed for an electronic component (above the manufacturer's specifications). The idea is to achieve higher performance without changing the components, or exceeding the current performance quotas, although this may result in a loss of stability or shorten the life of the component. Overclock is an anglicism commonly used in computing that literally means about the clock, that is, increasing the clock frequency of the central processing unit, or simply raising frequencies.

Knowing the concept we must question the disadvantages that this can influence our teams:

Increasing the clock frequency also increases the current consumption and the heat given off, which could affect other components; For this reason it may be necessary to replace the cooling system with a more advanced one, which would imply an extra cost.

Thanks for the accurate information. In fact, I expected that this would affect the life of the card and other components, and that this might cause other problems that I do not know, so I was hesitant about doing the overcloking .

4 hours ago, Saibaba said:

I additionally had the query of what overclocking is for a GPU and how to do it. in the beginning I thought i'd do it with my computer, however discovered that no longer only is it harmful, it isn't worthwhile, it is able to be a completely difficult element to do.  Please do no longer strive it due to the fact many had been trying with computer however failed many dollars for mining  As you could see them within the tri pa mining're operating on it, you should get to realize

Yes, I am aware of this fact, I do not use a computer processor, but I use GPU, However, profits are very low and costs are high. Currently my Power Supply has broken down, so I am currently deciding to stop mining.

Overclocking is the required process of increasing a component’s clock rate, running it at a higher speed than it was designed to run. This is generally applies to the CPU or GPU, but other things can also be overclocked.Increasing a component’s clock rate causes it to perform more operations per second, but it also produces too much heat. Overclocking can help increase more performance out of your components, but they’ll often need additional cooling and care.

The talk about overclocking reducing GPU's lifespan is utter nonsense. It applies in some way but not entirely. As long as you manage the heat and don't over volt them, your cards will be fine. Remember, heat kills cards, nothing else. I've been mining for years now and not a single GPU I have has failed me. The only thing I had to replace was one cooling fan on one of the cards, and thats it. Keep the temps below 70c(Ideal would be lowish 60's) and you are good to go. Simple overclocking depending on the algorithm of the coin you mine, is to decrease the Powerlimit(TDP) and increase Memory and Core clock speeds. I run my 1080TI's at 60% TDP, +500 to +1000 on Memory and +50 to +100 on Core clocks, depending on the manufacturer of the GPU.
You can even further reduce the heat and power consumption by undervolting the GPU's.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, Crypto123 said:

Hi guys

Overclocking is necessary for effective GPU mining. Reuslts is higher hashrate and lower power consuption. Overclocking should be done with caution as this can greatly damage your gpu. However the principle is simple: increase the clock frequency and reduce the voltage. My results are:

190 mh/s for 1400 watts without overclocking

235 mh/s for 1100 watts using overclocking

You can find a lot of tutorials about it on the net. The website below was very usefull when I started mining:

1stminingrig.com

I hope he will be helpfull for you too.

MY RIG:

spacer.png

Free $0.50 daily paid in Crypto -Here-
Free crypto and fresh news daily -Here-

2 days to profit -Here-

On 12/26/2019 at 3:53 AM, neurolicious said:

Simple overclocking depending on the algorithm of the coin you mine, is to decrease the Powerlimit(TDP)

word-image-53.png

Decreasing Power Limit decreases hashrate too. There is a way to downvolt nVidia GPUs in Afterburner by hitting Ctrl+F combo opening this Voltage/GPU freq. curve.

27 minutes ago, geezer said:

word-image-53.png

Decreasing Power Limit decreases hashrate too. There is a way to downvolt nVidia GPUs in Afterburner by hitting Ctrl+F combo opening this Voltage/GPU freq. curve.

You need to decrease the power limit and up the core/memory clocks to compensate. Less heat high hashrates. I run my 1080TI's at 60% PL and they have consistent 55mh/s and temps 49-53c, so how can it run at max hashrate with 60% PL if as you say it lowers hashrate? Downvolting is useless on Dagger algo coins, but is ok with more power hungry algos.

Adding that every GPU acts differently on specific settings. Your 1060 might start getting lower hashrates at 90% PL versus 100% PL, while 1080TI is pretty much unaffected til 55-60% PL range versus 100% PL on Dagger.

Edited by neurolicious

1 minute ago, neurolicious said:

Downvolting is useless on Dagger algo coins.

NVidia GPUs are useless on Ethash algorithm, there are better choices which use calculating abilities and need a lot of GPU power tuned for optimal power consumption.

4 minutes ago, neurolicious said:

You need to decrease the power limit and up the core/memory clocks to compensate

It makes sense, but using the curve I increase (or not) GPU freq and reduce its voltage simultaneously. If I lower the PL, the core will not overclock too much.

4 minutes ago, geezer said:

NVidia GPUs are useless on Ethash algorithm, there are better choices which use calculating abilities and need a lot of GPU power tuned for optimal power consumption.

Looks like you don't know much about Nvidia GPU's on ETH. 1080TI is the absolute most energy efficient GPU for Ethash. 130 watts at 55mh/s while the AMD RX cards eat 100-250w and hash at 20-45mh/s.

Edited by neurolicious

4 minutes ago, neurolicious said:

Looks like you don't know much about Nvidia GPU's on ETH.

That's right, I achieved some 42 mh on a P104-100 with random slightly overclocked core clock and I do not see it productive.

7 minutes ago, neurolicious said:

1080TI is the absolute most energy efficient GPU for Ethash

I do not care much for power efficiency, I can afford monthly payments for 4 MWh but I cannot afford building Ethereum mining rigs on 1080Ti's. I use RX570 instead.