Request / Suggestion: Minimized Quote - About Forum - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
mostawda3

Request / Suggestion: Minimized Quote

Dear members  and moderators, don't you hate it when people quote extra long posts?

It's a little bit irritating and make reading posts more difficult, So I suggest to minimize long quotes' content, I know there is a quote collapse button, but is not automatic and not convenient, this is an example of what I'm talking about:

Long Quote:

mostawda3 said:

Long Quote: Some members ask about Reputation points, here I will explain what it is and it's use,

It is called reputation because it's a representation ( not always ) of how your content is received by other members, if the members liked or benefited from your content then they most likely would give you a like like (vote up), but if they found your content bad or spam they most likely would give you a dislike spacer.png (vote down),

A member receives or loses points when other users vote up or down the content they have posted, and this points are called Reputation Points,

Basically, it's a system which allows members to earn Reputation Points when others react to their content which will motivate content creators to do more and let them feel that there efforts are appreciated and noticed    

Now, the thing is very few people use this feature, some don't know and some just don't care, So I ask all members to do this little effort and react to content you like or benefited from, cause this will let the Posters be more active and motivated and feel that their effort is appreciated,

If you receive help/benefited from a post then give them a like

Minimized:

quote.png.4b79ac08c362b54fee2d33615d4770d2.png

This will make browsing content more easy and make the topic look tidy and clean,

I don't think invision implemented this feature in their core version yet but I found this plugin Minimized Quote 1.2.0 which does the job, I kindly ask Administration to check this suggestion and see if it's possible to implement, Thanks for reading

• Useful or interesting 6
  • +1 2
  • +2 8
  • +3 6
  • +4 3
  • +5 2

Forum's Reputation & Reaction explained,
Request / Suggestion: Minimized Quote feature

It really is annoying to see the entire post quoted by some members which in most of the cases really unnecessary. May be it's because they do not know how to do it correctly.

Just now, mostawda3 said:

This idea seems good but we can really make it better if we only quote the text we are replying instead of the whole post. Just like here what I did could be a good example.

• +1 1

16 minutes ago, xBDT Script said:

it better if we only quote the text we are replying

yes we get the opportunity here to quote the exact line we are replying. we don't need to reply whole posts many time and we can focus only a few lines by this option.

37 minutes ago, mostawda3 said:

Minimized:

This will make browsing content more easy and make the topic look tidy and clean,

sir i want to know how you made this type of quote?

Did you take a screenshot or another trick? can i do this also?

• Useful or interesting 1
  • +2 2

Bengali?

View this Topic

@Emma and @xBDT Script guys, what the members quote the most are topic's content, not just posts' content, just check this out link  you can clearly see what I mean, what I request is not to permanently minimize the quote, but just hiding extra text after a certain number 

• +1 3

@Emma and @xBDT Script guys, what the members quote the most are topic's content, not just posts' content, just check this out link  you can clearly see what I mean, what I request is not to permanently minimize the quote, but just hiding extra text after a certain number 

But sir, when we will quote like the way you said, all the words are not visible clearly for mobile devices and the person won't realize my focus on his post. by the way, how can i do this? or it is not yet possible in cryptotalk?

• +1 1

Bengali?

View this Topic

Yeah I get that. For example this post. The user really do not need to quote the whole thing. If he was experienced forum user then he would do the way I did.

what I request is not to permanently minimize the quote, but just hiding extra text after a certain number 

What you said has a draw back too. For Example I wanted to search something using Ctrl+F5 and I will not find anything if it is hidden behind the "more" or "read more"  link.

• +1 1

1 hour ago, mostawda3 said:

Dear members  and moderators, don't you hate it when people quote extra long posts?

People are doing this and post one line of text just to fill up and to make their post look better.

I would start to give warnings to if members repeat this multiple times and Quote long posts.

• +1 1
  • +2 1

28 minutes ago, Emma said:

sir i want to know how you made this type of quote?

Did you take a screenshot or another trick? can i do this also?

8 minutes ago, Emma said:

But sir, when we will quote like the way you said, all the words are not visible clearly for mobile devices and the person won't realize my focus on his post. by the way, how can i do this? or it is not yet possible in cryptotalk?

What I posted is just an edited image, and it will only minimize quotes when they exceed a certain number of lines, and it will be clearly visible on mobile phones.

5 minutes ago, xBDT Script said:

Yeah I get that. For example this post. The user really do not need to quote the whole thing. If he was experienced forum user then he would do the way I did.

What you said has a draw back too. For Example I wanted to search something using Ctrl+F5 and I will not find anything if it is hidden behind the "more" or "read more"  link.

It's just hidden using Javascript  and CSS and you can search and find the text

• +1 1

1 minute ago, mostawda3 said:

What I posted is just an edited image, and it will only minimize quotes when they exceed a certain number of lines, and it will be clearly visible on mobile phones.

I like your idea with minimized quote, and option to read full quote if you want.
I don't know if it easy to implement in current forum software, but it would make forum cleaner for sure

• +1 2

It's just hidden using Javascript  and CSS and you can search and find the text

It can be added very easily, not seeing any issue at all to add it but my thought is that we are fine without it 😁

• +2 1

1 hour ago, hexwin said:

I don't know if it easy to implement in current forum software, but it would make forum cleaner for sure

I checked invision marketplace and found a free and easy plugin available Minimized Quote 1.2.0, it would be awesome if they implemented this feature in the core version but a plugin is still doing the job

36 minutes ago, xBDT Script said:

It can be added very easily, not seeing any issue at all to add it but my thought is that we are fine without it 😁

Dude, we are in desperate need for this feature, because while some would just quote the lines they answer, the majority do quote the whole topic and this in itself is a way to get the OP's attention, besides @mention, or sometimes you just can't pick the lines, just check the The results of the competition for 1 BTC how many members quoted the Admin's post? which is a long post with ~15 lines

Edited by mostawda3
  • +1 1
  • +2 1

+1 more vote for this minimized quote feature. As it is the, pages are already so long and you have to scroll dont a considerable amount before reaching the bottom. It tales more time to find what youre looking for if you asm me, the minimized quote will be of great help.

• +1 1

Yes you need to go down and down to see the other comments it's really embracing, user should not quote comment for a long content just by him self,but it's very good suggestion.

An other think about the theme of the forum they have to add a dark theme.because the white color is not good for eyes 

• +1 2

7 hours ago, mostawda3 said:

It's a little bit irritating and make reading posts more difficult, So I suggest to minimize long quotes' content, I know there is a quote collapse button, but is not automatic and not convenient, this is an example of what I'm talking about: 

Yes its a "little bit irritating to read post as its sometimes difficult for a thread to load" with those whole quoted post, and:

I agree with @mostawda3,

Edited by maricans
  • +1 1

On 11/2/2019 at 7:33 AM, Nicearce said:

Yes your right if we replying or we quoted of one person.there us only particular lines thats we quoted not at all.but pardon me.sometime like me not knowledgeable in using computer dont know exactly how will I do it to quoted only one lines? Do I need to copy only the line? Sorry sir but its real I am not very particular memorize how to use as simple this kind of technology.what I know is I just quoted of the op then will appear all the post they did.but thanks for the op given us an idea to minimize the post we created.I will learn for that.

if you are asking the way to quote one or few lines then just select those lines and you will see a option quote selection. but i use cryptotalk on android and told you about it. i think you will get the same option in pc also.

• +1 1

Bengali?

View this Topic

A sugestion for me for all people who quote all of the post.

You can deleted the content and change it to -snip- so you dont need to quote all of the post. -snip- also give us a information its mean you quote all of the post. But not everyone know how the -snip- its work, thats why i make this sugetion for all people who dont know how to quote a full post.

• Useful or interesting 2
  • +2 1

On 11/1/2019 at 11:41 PM, KiritoKun said:

Some how yes, it make me loss interest in one post because the thread is too long, it interrupt my focus in reading the replies in the topic. But I think it still the user's freedom regarding to quote what they want. Your post is really helpful to everyone be aware and improve our quoting and to improve also the forum. 

yes it is there freedom, but what I suggest is not to delete/edit their quote's content it's just to hide extra lines beneath a Read more button 

On 11/2/2019 at 12:04 AM, Sponge08 said:

but I do not think that can be applied to all since some quoting needs the entire content.

the content will not change it will just be hidden and everyone can reveal it if they want

On 11/2/2019 at 5:16 AM, Jakezyrus said:

They were maximizing their posts because they want to elaborate it more. They are giving some several extra quotes just to support their claims and i think there is nothing wrong with that.

It is not a restriction, you can do what you want but if the quote is too long it will be minimized but still there

• +1 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:33 PM, mostawda3 said:

Long Quote:

Minimized:

I don't think invision implemented this feature in their core version yet but I found this plugin Minimized Quote 1.2.0 which does the job, I kindly ask Administration to check this suggestion and see if it's possible to implement, Thanks for reading

I also feel annoyed to read a long qouted text. It will be better if the long text can be collapse just like facebook, qoura long has. If anyone interested to read the full text than he can click on "Read more" button. It's a great idea. Admin should think about the mentioned plugin or if he get more better. But it's really needed.

• +1 1

[¶] I am working to educate street-childrens in my area. You can Donate for their educational materials: 

₿: 3JjY452XaoVfR6wFeZEp3htuj6TE3wq47z

ETH: 0x479eAf3d641819670526A001Fe667000d2F1b293

yes off course i hate it when peoples post extra quotes and it become too long and its frustrating, there should be short quotes and others must be deleted that help the member to provide good adventure.

• +1 1

Hard Worker 😎😎

I think you're your idea good and useful
But the members must shorten their quotes
They only specify the words they respond to and things will be better

THINK POSITIVE

You can just skip it and I don't find it annoying to me
You can leave a like or dislike
The member will understand this in your opinion

Life is great and enjoy it

yes indeed! this is really irritating (in my opinion) because you have to scroll up or down too long to read some other comments due to the long quotes. 

Yeah i think that's is a good idea because some people here in cryptotalk are hated those long post while the meaning of that long post is just very simple. Did you get my point?  It is so irritated because it is like you are getting fool because of the repeated words of that certain post. That's for me.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:33 AM, mostawda3 said:

Long Quote:

Minimized:

We already have a feature like the one you describe. It is called the "spoiler" button.Untitled01.jpg.bd24c90beedf4ec6965952d43b61f64c.jpg

Here, I'll try to quote you again, this time, I'll hide it inside a spoiler:

Spoiler

On 11/2/2019 at 12:33 AM, mostawda3 said:

Long Quote:

Minimized:

See? To view what is inside the spoiler, just click on it to view.

I have been in this forum for quite a while now, and yet it seems I am the only one who is using this feature, usually for hiding very long articles, or posting content that I don't want to be seen easily.

New to the Cryptotalk forum? Here's something that might help you get started:

https://cryptotalk.org/topic/24401-forum-tutorials-tips-and-tricks-for-newbies-compilation/