Which one is better? PoW vs PoS? Discussion - Mining - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
xBDT Script

Which one is better? PoW vs PoS? Discussion

Both the process PoW and PoS are different has their own benefits. This is not a debate though. Let me share some insights which is my personal observation. I may be wrong as well because I am not much into these mining activity.

Cost Effectiveness-
In term of mining cost, PoW required a lot of equipment as well as a lot of electricity is consumed in the mining process. On the other hand, in PoS system, you don't need much equipment and the electricity is not much needed as proportion with PoW.

Waste of resources-
In PoW, a lot of miners try to solve puzzle at once to get the block reward but not everyone gets it, but everyone has the cost of electricity, electricity is wasted here. On the other hand, with PoS, depending on your stake weight, algorithm will choose a random node. So, not much resource is being wasted here.

There are a lot of reasons where PoW is good but PoS is not, and vice versa. Feel free to share some more basic differences between both these.

Edited by xBDT Script

2 hours ago, Iv4n said:

Now mining equipment can be expensive, add to that electricity, and you will have some big expenses before you get first coins. Depending on mining equipment there will be some ROI, so you will have to keep that miners running for months before you get in some profit, all that time you will need to pay for electricity from your own pocket.

PoS is easier, all you need is a wallet and of course starting investment in coins. You fill your wallet with those coins and that`s it. Some wallets stake even offline, while some asks for wallet to run in order to stake.

About decentralization nature of PoW, I agree that's true although there are a lot of debates on it that PoW is not that decentralized as people speculate it.

But have you noticed that we are wasting a lot of our resources with PoW? You may or may not get block reward but you have to continue, a lot of people will try and one will get which wastes the other resources used by miners who don't get reward, in PoS, it's not happening.

I am not really aware of offline wallet staking, please name some. I would appreciate.

2 hours ago, alther said:

PoS production can sometimes reach billions of coins which can make the price drop. Unlike PoW which generally limits the number of coins so that the impression is limited.

PoS doesn't mean that the supply of the coins will be limited, there are a lot of PoS coins with limited supply. It depends on the creator of a coin.

The problem with small stacking coins is that the most time they loose very fast their price. I use to keep some stacking coins ,most of them in stacking pools and not in my wallet.

I think POW is better. Because Pow is well-tested and used in many cryptocurrency projects. The PoS algorithm provides for a more scalable blockchain with higher transaction throughput, and a few projects have adopted it.  And it's less secure than the completely decentralized Pow algorithm.

For about this I chose POW over POS. POW is better because income from mining is more certain than POS. Unfortunately POW is very difficult at this time, and POS costs cheaper than POW.

I still think that POW is better than POS, the only difference is that for POS you will only get coins if you store your coin wallet, but for the process both POS and POW need a device that is active 24 hours to be able to process transaction blocks

And to complicate matters, the generals are so far apart that messengers are required to deliver communications between them, and one or more generals may also be traitors.

in 2015-2016 PoW coins and PoS coins were very popular. i always mined PoW coins that its wallet is supported to stake it. but since ICO goes hype, it's hard to find this kind of coins. there were ICO everywhere.

Edited by I-KUN