What would you do if it happened to you? - For Beginners - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
ETheHedgehog

What would you do if it happened to you?

48 minutes ago, ETheHedgehog said:

a while back, someone made a mistake while making a transaction, he sent 0.55 ETH with a transaction fee of a little under 10700 ETH, which was around 2.6$ million at the time to send 134$ worth of ETH, you can read more about the story here : https://mashable.com/article/million-cryptocurrency-ethereum-fee-paid-by-mistake/ .

My question to you would be what would you do if this happened to you, would you quit the crypto business entirely? or would you consider it a lesson to always double and triple check the numbers in a transaction and try to find some way to recover anything of what's lost?

We must always be careful when making crypto transactions to always double check that everything is correct to avoid such mistakes that can cost as a lot hope many will take it as a lesson.

• Useful or interesting 3
  • +1 4
  • +2 5
  • +3 2

Well this case is old and I had read the news about it.

Ay first I won't let this happened as I always check the gas fee of ethereum before doing a transaction. But if it had happened then sure I would take it as lesson and if possible I would try to recover the fund. There is no way to quit Crypto forever because of this mistake at least for me.

Edited by Ridam
Spelling mistake
  • Useful or interesting 1
  • -1 1
  • +1 4
  • +2 8
  • +3 2

NOTHING I SAY IS FINANCIAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD USE YOUR MIND ,FOR YOUR MONEY,

It's really hard to judge the person mentally when he loss 2.6 million, its not esay to say he continue work in crypto are leave crypto its depends on his mentally,

but one lesson definitely we learns when we made any transaction, then before check the amount, transaction fees and wallet address everything cross check its important, 

I don't think he recover that amount, but then also once try for recovery its better.

• +1 7
  • +2 2
  • +3 1

I always suggest people to become careful when you going to withdrawal your money as your lil mistake can lead you in huge lose.. For this member who did this mistake can be a experience and also he is enough rich as he withdrawal in a moment this huge amount of money.. So basically next time he will be more careful to work..                

• Useful or interesting 4
  • +1 5
  • +2 3
  • +3 1
  • +4 1

The fact that this can happen with a normal transaction just makes me think that the gui is not ready for public. It needs to be idiot proof. And losing 2M by accident isn't really speaking for larger adoption.

Finer tech needs to be under the simple GUI and people without skills shouldn't have an easy access to mess with large amounts of gas.

• Useful or interesting 2
  • +1 1
  • +2 1
  • +3 1
  • +4 1

What this means? Did someone paid someon 2,6 million dollars to only send 150 dollar to someone? Is this possible? There may be some problem that happened as this is not logical to do and probably a big mistake happened here. Why is this allowed to pay this high fees aren't they have a limit for fees to be of at least some high limit, very strange and worrying fact.

• Useful or interesting 4
  • -1 2
  • +1 3
  • +2 1
  • +3 1
  • +4 2

First of all, I do not think that I will someday own 2.6 million dollars of Ethereum to lose, but certainly this is an important lesson for all cryptocurrency users is to make sure 100% of the sender's wallet address and withdrawal fees before sending because any small mistake you may lose Your money and cannot be recovered

• +1 2
  • +2 1

Auch, that is a costly transaction , indeed one can only do the right thing and quit , it can only make that sense, how ever since they never did ,its important we are all always able to check the details before we send anything.

When we make a mistake of sending the wrong one, then that would be painful very painful.

• +1 2
  • +2 1

It was sad to hear such a big loss. It I did that, then I try to get back this money by going through different available options. If there is no chance is available of getting money back, I share experiences with others as a advise. After this, I take a break to recover myself and when I fully prepared again for it, I work hard again with the same intention

• +2 2
  • +4 1
  • +5 1

4 hours ago, rekter said:

The fact that this can happen with a normal transaction just makes me think that the gui is not ready for public. It needs to be idiot proof. And losing 2M by accident isn't really speaking for larger adoption.

i totally agree with this, there should be at least a warning when setting the gas fee higher than the transaction amount, let alone more around 10000%

3 hours ago, yonkii said:

What this means? Did someone paid someon 2,6 million dollars to only send 150 dollar to someone? Is this possible? There may be some problem that happened as this is not logical to do and probably a big mistake happened here. Why is this allowed to pay this high fees aren't they have a limit for fees to be of at least some high limit, very strange and worrying fact.

i suggest you read the article, ethereum lets people decide their transaction fee and that fee is then distributed to miners, the person made a mistake, he did not pay for someone else

• +1 1
  • +2 3
  • +3 1

BetFury                                                   

🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹

Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                            bf_320x100.png

what i understood that this man lost 0.55ETH, so this is a lesson for us, to check all fees and any wrong, like add wrong address in the withdrawal address before any withdraw.

• -1 1
  • +1 1
  • +2 2

20 minutes ago, ETheHedgehog said:

i suggest you read the article, ethereum lets people decide their transaction fee and that fee is then distributed to miners, the person made a mistake, he did not pay for someone else

This event happened months ago and it seem that it wasn't a mistake but something else. You can find more details on the internet on the ethereumworldnews website. It wasn't just 2 million but 5 and not an accident.

Edited by Fixfin
  • +2 1
  • +4 1

Yeah, like it will take the whole career to earn that and you would lose all the money in one transactions paying as a fees. I would be one of the dumbest people in the world. But I will again take loan and invest and earn the basic earnings to live a life.

• +1 1
  • +5 1

BetFury                                                   

Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                 

This news is very heartbreaking. But its very hard to believe this thing. Because why anyone will deposit this huge amount to a platform which will be a fraud if they are charging this much of huge money. Still if we believe that then he or she must have not read the guidelines of platform. Probably the platform may have not mentioned at the time of transaction.

• +5 1

6 hours ago, ETheHedgehog said:

My question to you would be what would you do if this happened to you, would you quit the crypto business entirely? or would you consider it a lesson to always double and triple check the numbers in a transaction and try to find some way to recover anything of what's lost?

Personally I would not leave the world of cryptocurrencies for this mistake I would take it as an apprenticeship so that it does not happen to me again, we must all pay a lot of attention when making transactions always check several times the shipping addresses so as not to lose our money, my advice is to try to write personally the addresses since there are viruses that change the shipping addresses we must be very attentive with that

6 hours ago, ETheHedgehog said:

a while back, someone made a mistake while making a transaction, he sent 0.55 ETH with a transaction fee of a little under 10700 ETH, which was around 2.6$ million at the time to send 134$ worth of ETH, you can read more about the story here : https://mashable.com/article/million-cryptocurrency-ethereum-fee-paid-by-mistake/ .

We should always be careful @ETheHedgehog in this cryptoworld. Cryptoworld is not a place to make some mistakes because it can not be fixed or reversed.So always take a course of what you are doing in crypto world to safe yourself from this sort of mistakes.

🥰 DO GOOD AND HAVE GOOD🥰

NEVER DEMOLARIZE A JUNIOR MEMBER  

😎

1 hour ago, benalmoh88 said:

what i understood that this man lost 0.55ETH, so this is a lesson for us, to check all fees and any wrong, like add wrong address in the withdrawal address before any withdraw.

Read again, he send 0.55 eth but lost 10700 eth on fees. Maybe an error with a comma or something, could be some sort of money laundering as well if the pool was in on it.

• +1 2
  • +2 2
  • +3 1

Well for me I wouldn't quit crypto business, because quiting isn't the best option, rather I will learn from my mistake, and always try to double check the figures before executing any transaction.

• +1 1

BetFury                                                   

Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                 

3 hours ago, benalmoh88 said:

did you even read the article properly? he lost 2.6$ million (10700ETH), not 0.55 ETH

3 hours ago, Fixfin said:

This event happened months ago and it seem that it wasn't a mistake but something else. You can find more details on the internet on the ethereumworldnews website. It wasn't just 2 million but 5 and not an accident.

can you provide a link to the article? i know this was months ago, but i didn't see anyone talking about 5 million at the time

3 hours ago, P A Ashif said:

will be a fraud if they are charging this much of huge money.

it wasn't a platform fee, it was a gas fee for ETH, which you can actually set for yourself, and depending on the amount your transaction gets processed faster or slower (faster for higher fees)

• +1 1

BetFury                                                   

Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                            bf_320x100.png

I have heard about this case and did find it to bee quite intense. First of all i think that it would be hard to use this as a lesson because of the large loss that you made in the first place. It will definitely be extremely demotivating and will damage your entire crypto portfolio in my opinion. Chances are that it will take a while to mentally recover from such a mistake. My concern though is that the transaction fees usually come up with the transaction and you have to approve the transaction after that. So i would hope that i would be vigilant enough to see this before i go ahead with the transaction in order to identify the problem and prevent it from happening in the first place. 

• +1 2
  • +3 1

Looking to earn through posting on forums? Join Beermoneyforum where you can earn up to $12 daily for your posts! Follow this link to get started: https://www.beermoneyforum.com/?inv=126648

A simple, awesome faucet with payouts in BTC and TRX. Join now at https://moremoney.io/?ref=72749

Join this awesome forum for pay per post rewards: https://bizdustry.com/?referrer=5769

im sure that this wont happen to me for two reasons , first i dont have that  amount of money xd , and second i will make sure not to send any money before making lot of checks to the wallets .

• +1 4

This is a very cost mistake for this person that is paid so much money only for the fees to move a very small ethireum coins that make me very scared of what to do when I try to send my coins to other exchange. I am thanks for making this and helping us with your knowledge of this mistake that we perhaps can make too but I am even care for a very small fund I have imagine for millions of dollars, I will look everything ten times or twenty and only then I will send them.

• +1 5
  • +2 2