Bitcoin Engineers Have Again Discovered Blockchain Vulnerability(Now Fixed) - Bitcoin - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
Whited35

Bitcoin Engineers Have Again Discovered Blockchain Vulnerability(Now Fixed)

I am studying a hot research report. Two Bitcoin engineers Braydon Fuller and Javed Khan have already fixed the dangerous vulnerability on the Bitcoin blockchain network in 2018 which is known as INVDoS.Previously these two engineers thought they have already patched the issue but they rediscovered the bug which could promote hackers to shut down the entire networks. Engineers have found two other blockchain iterations: Btcd and Decred. Fortunately, Khan and other engineers gathered to fix the vulnerabilities in late August and have saved us from a huge possible enemy.

621398424_Screenshot(1).png.11e9915165d663cf90b28942bb3de4f5.png

Photo:-Braydon Fuller and Javed Khan, research report

So how the attack works?
Researchers have named “denial-of-service” for the new vulnerability and according to them, it was “easily exploitable” by hackers. Let's see, the attack would work like this. One hostile blockchain node—a member/miner of the network that validates transactions—floods another non-existent transaction which leads memory to grow endlessly. This sort of attack will crash the process by promoting irreversible damage and eventually, lead hackers to shut down entire networks.
 If this bug was not fixed at the right time, Litecoin and Namecoin blockchains were also at the risk. The report has also suggested, Bitcoin Lightning Network could be the first target.
So, if you are still using the older version of Bitcoin software, please upgrade to latest version as soon as possible 🙏
References:-

• +1 1
  • +4 1
  • +5 6

Thank you my friend @Whited35 for sharing with us this really dangerous information in the crypto world that I have never heard of before, and for sure these experts in the field of crypto have done a good job by fixing this error before it is too late.
But how do you upgrade to the latest version of the Bitcoin program?

• +1 2
  • +2 1

8 hours ago, Moaz said:

But how do you upgrade to the latest version of the Bitcoin program?

@Moaz Thanks for your question. Well, you can visit https://bitcoin.org/en/download to download latest Bitcoin Core software. Do not prefer torrent files, they can be dangerous. Well, fortunately engineers have fixed it before hackers attempting to crash the entire network. 

• +3 2

I am amazed the blockchain can possess such flaw. I thought the blockchain network is supposed to be without any ounce of vulnerability. This changed my view entirely. Thank God it was discovered earlier before it was manipulated. Constant vulnerability check is important after this, something I am sure they must have been doing incognito. 

Thanks for this information.

• +2 1
  • +5 1

My Altcointalks username —° Raqeebzy

19 hours ago, Raqeebzy said:

I am amazed the blockchain can possess such flaw. I thought the blockchain network is supposed to be without any ounce of vulnerability. This changed my view entirely. Thank God it was discovered earlier before it was manipulated.

@RaqeebzyEngineers were smart enough as they did not let it to know before completely fixing it otherwise cyber criminals could have already damaged blockchain networks of Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Namecoin. Now, here is no luck for them, we are safe but at least if exchange or miners are still using the old version of Bitcoin software, they are advised to use the latest one. 

• +2 1

5 hours ago, Whited35 said:

@RaqeebzyEngineers were smart enough as they did not let it to know before completely fixing it otherwise cyber criminals could have already damaged blockchain networks of Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Namecoin. Now, here is no luck for them, we are safe but at least if exchange or miners are still using the old version of Bitcoin software, they are advised to use the latest one. 

Seriously, it would have been a disaster to be frank. Now, I think seeing this information, hackers very pained they didn't discovered this would now know the blockchain network isn't as perfect as they thought it to be. 

I think they might be looking for some other littlest of flaws. The engineers should apparently not relax.

• +2 1

4 hours ago, Raqeebzy said:

Seriously, it would have been a disaster to be frank. Now, I think seeing this information, hackers very pained they didn't discovered this would now know the blockchain network isn't as perfect as they thought it to be. 

@Raqeebzy Lol 😂 !! Criminals may have been blaming now but what do you think, aren't they looking weak blockchain networks like as of ETC after reading this research report ? I need to be honest, I still have an extreme fears towards BCH.

• +3 1

46 minutes ago, Whited35 said:

@Raqeebzy Lol 😂 !! Criminals may have been blaming now 

Definitely, this news looks an encouragement to them. 

49 minutes ago, Whited35 said:

what do you think, aren't they looking weak blockchain networks like as of ETC after reading this research report ? I need to be honest, I still have an extreme fears towards BCH.

I don't wish for it but I think there would be more effort attacking and looking desperate for flaws; might not be bitcoin blockchain but other weaker ones like you mentioned.

But I believe even as weak as we thought it to be, they aren't as easily vulnerable. We would have seen repeated attacks if not.

• +2 1
  • +3 1

22 hours ago, Raqeebzy said:

I don't wish for it but I think there would be more effort attacking and looking desperate for flaws; might not be bitcoin blockchain but other weaker ones like you mentioned.

@RaqeebzyMostly, attackers are always searching for wormhole. In the case ETC blockchain, devs just fixed the weakest part after first 51% attack. Attacks reoccurred for the third time because devs were failed to predict the situation before fixing up the entire system. Fortunately, in the case of Bitcoin, software is open source and top engineers are securing it for several times with extremely complex cryptographic codes. 

• +4 1

1 hour ago, Whited35 said:

@RaqeebzyMostly, attackers are always searching for wormhole. In the case ETC blockchain, devs just fixed the weakest part after first 51% attack. Attacks reoccurred for the third time because devs were failed to predict the situation before fixing up the entire system. Fortunately, in the case of Bitcoin, software is open source and top engineers are securing it for several times with extremely complex cryptographic codes. 

That makes it very obvious; Bitcoin is regarded as safest blockchain network. Very well, it can't be 51%.attacked anymore (not just feasible), partiality Ethereum too. I think the security of blockchain network against cyber attacks largely depends on the developers and engineers.

• +3 1

On 9/18/2020 at 5:02 PM, Whited35 said:

RaqeebzyMostly, attackers are always searching for wormhole. In the case ETC blockchain, devs just fixed the weakest part after first 51% attack.

Ethereum classic has been probed to 51% attack not ones, because this one is fixed does not mean another 51% attack will not happen. The best I have done is to never use the coin when there are many other profitable cryptocurrencies  people can make use of. About bitcoin, I have not read this online though, but I think with the level of hash rates and how it is distributed, nothing like 51% attack that will occur on bitcoin blockchain. 

• +2 1

12 minutes ago, Yomose said:

Ethereum classic has been probed to 51% attack not ones, because this one is fixed does not mean another 51% attack will not happen.

@Yomose Exactly, I was trying to say the same thing. Currently, I do not see any possibility for Bitcoin blockchain network to be a target for 51% attack because attackers should be able to control 51% of computational powers which is actually not possible. 

• +1 1

Thank you for this information .. The world of technology in general taught us that we cannot close all the gaps. There are always new ways to penetrate, but the skill is that we can bridge the gap before hackers reach it.

22 hours ago, Nboramir said:

Unfortunately, this vulnerability could lead to the theft of btcs. I think more important personal information is leaked with this vulnerability.

It is about blockchain so no personal information would leak even there was successful attack. It would first cause the participating nodes failure to confirm the transactions. 

17 hours ago, Captin said:

There are always new ways to penetrate, but the skill is that we can bridge the gap before hackers reach it.

Bitcoin blockchain network is secured by the strong encryption and advanced programming. You know, complex the programming, there will be more chances to have the bugs. 

these experts in the field of crypto have done a good job, the malfunction will be fixed immediately this is what happened in the Blockchain

• +1 1

Can this loophole be used to steal money or just sabotage the blockchain? I mean, in the 51% attack, the target of the attackers is to double-spend to get large amounts of coins that they steal and sell for money, and their goal is not to sabotage the network.

On 11/6/2020 at 12:31 AM, Rosarvx said:

these experts in the field of crypto have done a good job, the malfunction will be fixed immediately this is what happened in the Blockchain

They have not fixed the issues immediately, as they were doing the deep investigation to detect the bugs. Eventually, engineers with the top rated blockchain expertise rolled out to fix the issue and everything is looking fine now. As there will be the complex programming in the blockchain technology, 100% patching up may not be possible as there can be still some persisting bugs.