Newcomers in the Crypto world? How to remain anonymous and be safe from the new tricks of scammers? - Tutorials - CryptoTalk.Org Jump to content
Whited35

Newcomers in the Crypto world? How to remain anonymous and be safe from the new tricks of scammers?

26233418_my-visual_46997651(1).thumb.png.50a8f1704013e9fb52b74c6ff8c22b86.png

After having so many awful experiences in the crypto world, I decided to write this topic to save so many innocent users from new tricks from scammers even on this Cryptotalk forum. 
Myself, I am not an expert but I try my best to elaborate according to my pure experiences.Everything will be straight forward and I hope you might say aH-Ha at the end😉! Due to increasing craze in the cryptocurrency, so many people are entering in crypto world everyday.  Scammers are finding Airdrop and any sort of giveaway options are the best way to cheat newcomers. Let's see I am uncovering the scammer's tricks.

First of all, they promote their so-called airdrops, bounty programs, and giveaway programs on airdrop notifier different sites and channels like telegram channels, airdroprating.io, airdropalert.com ,medium page etc. Average people including newcomers are always looking for free cryptocurrency and scammers have clearly understood this fact so they create the attractive fake schemes first.Since participating in the most airdrops is not so hard, which includes completing some social media tasks like;

• Twitter follow and retweet,
  • Facebook page Like, follow and share,
  • Telegram/Discord group/channel join,
  • LinkedIn/Medium follow,
  • YouTube channel subscribe and,
  • Website registrations and KYC verification

After getting so many followers on their social media networks, they list their useless currency on lower ranked cryptocurrency exchange sites with extremely lower 24 hours trading volumes or zero in some cases where you can not find any potential buyers. Now it's time to widespread their fake schemes by highlighting like their coins/tokens are already listed on some exchange sites.This is a turning point, not only newcomers, even some experienced players might fall in this trap because cryptocurrency which is already listed on exchange sites(most of the people do not care about quality of exchange for the very first time) can drop our attentions.

Now let's see their scamming trick step-wise.

1. To claim the airdrop, they ask for fee in ETH or BTC and you have to fill the separate Google form to reclaim no matter where you have initially filled the form for airdrop like on telegram bot or even on their own separate form.In the google form they may ask following things to spot your bank account;

-Primary email address

-Phone numbers

-KYC document ID 

A reason behind asking information via google form is to spot your Gmail id. So what benefits will they get from your Gmail id?If you are chrome browser user on both Android Smartphone and PC, you have to login Google to enable sync feature.On android device, one Gmail id can work for all existing applications like PlayStore, YouTube, Chrome Browser, Gmail app etc.They start to attack by sending malicious links to your Gmail inbox.Some of their email may also contain attractive offers according to your interests. So how they detect the things that you love the most? As per their Airdrop requirements, you should already have to subscribe their YouTube channel. They track your watch history,liked videos, and subscriptions to detect which contents you love the most on YouTube(It is advised, always keep your YouTube account in private mode).There will be the greatest chances of clicking on the links which you have received in your mailbox along with attractive offers. So how dangerous will it be if you wrongly click on such malicious links?

2. They may send you coins/tokens in your personal wallet and immediately launch the another serious of Airdrop say "Round 2 Airdrop", reason behind to do so is, they want to show continuous effort for project so that participants are not leaving their trap so early.

3. They start to show hopes like they are going to list their tokens/coins on some bigger exchange and keep encouraging participants to participate in their selfdrop by depositing ETH, BTC,LTC etc so that they are getting enough funds to cover listing fees.

(Note:-Selfdrop is a type of offer where participant has to deposit certain amounts of cryptocurrencies to expect tokens/coins as a return from some projects)

4. When their promised listing date comes very closer, now they create announcements, they are about to cancel agreements with their mentioned bigger exchange's listing by showing the fake reasons like;

-the exchange is not working according to their favor,and
    -their partner has cheated them to harm their project by grabbing away most of the tokens and coins.

5. After that, they ask participants for token swap and fee again for swapping purpose by accusing the reasons, their earlier token has become bad performer and they are about to create another unique tokens. At this stage, again participants can not leave their trap because they would have already invested the amounts in their selfdrp programs to expect huge profits and again they will be compelled to pay fee for token swapping purpose.

At the end, neither they list their coins/ Tokens on the exchange nor they return collected funds from the users.They rush away by closing everything like telegram group/channel, Facebook/Twitter etc. 

So for free airdrop you are not just expecting free crypto but also you are opening your entire secrets to scammers according to their needs.

HERE ARE TIPS TO AVOID BOUNTY AND AIRDROP SCAMS

• Never pay the amounts to participate in the airdrop.If some project is repeatedly asking for deposit from any types of offers like selfdrop,token/coin swap etc, never trust them. If they are begging money every time, how can you be sure for their project's continuity in the future? 
  • Since the real projects work very hard to create their website and contents for social media platforms, check if there are poorly managed official website or social media channels.Always do not forget to check following details,
    -Team behind the project and company registration number, official location, contact details etc.Some website may show a fake team information and photos, try to use search engines properly to find stock photos or other's random photos if they are being used. You can use these search engines YandexGoogle , and Bing where you can upload photo to get details about that.
    -Uniqueness/vision of project and their white paper( Do not forget to check if contents on white paper are copied from external sources. There are so many online free tools to detect copied content)
  • Never share your all real personal information including sensitive KYC documents, Primary emails, Phone number and permanent address
  • For participating any types of airdrop, I advise you to use brand new cryptocurrency wallet address not an address from your main account and also do not share private key.
  • Never response to spam email, if you reply them, they will be able to track your real IP address and always use good quality premium antivirus software.
  • If you see any of symptoms which resemble above mentioned cases, get away from them. 

Thank You!

Stay Safe 😍

• Useful or interesting 4
  • +1 1
  • +2 2
  • +4 2
  • +5 5

I've actually taken part in thousands of airdrops. Most of them didn't pay anything and were just scams. There were a few of them that were lucrative though. 

You have everything covered on your post and it is really detailed. I would only add that there are scam projects that demand to download wallets. apps or browser extensions. I suggest to everyone to be careful and if they aren't certain that these apps are safe, then don't download them. There are many cases of viruses inside such apps and these viruses specifically target cryptocurrency wallets.

• Useful or interesting 1

1 hour ago, BTC Future said:

I would only add that there are scam projects that demand to download wallets. apps or browser extensions. I suggest to everyone to be careful and if they aren't certain that these apps are safe, then don't download them. There are many cases of viruses inside such apps and these viruses specifically target cryptocurrency wallets.

I am also about to create topics for such scamming tricks too. Hackers first adjust app and extensions to steal sensitive user's data from the devices by asking for unwanted permissions.Some experienced person may easily detect such suspicious activities but newcomers may easily fall into their traps. 

• Useful or interesting 2
  • +2 1

Very good and detailed article! I will definitely link this article in the future for anyone needing this info.

I myself am not afraid on leaking some bank details, but i guess it depends on where you live. In my country it would be next to impossible for outsider to get in my bank account.

But what i am worried about is malware that tracks my passwords, private keys, and steals wallets etc. Even though i am using 2fa, these days keeping your email and backup email safe, is equally important, because those can be used to steal your accounts and sometimes reset 2fa.

Edited by rekter
  • +1 1
  • +2 1

You are right friend, its better to trade slowly and earn little profit rather that to invest in many airdrop sites. Many of them are fake and they will still both our money and our personal details because there are airdrops which they need KYC.

• +1 1
  • +2 1
  • +3 1
  • +5 1

Time is the ultimate weapon!

I'm greatful for this valuable information that will indeed help many to know some of the tactics used by scamers and this way they will stay away from them,mostly beginners are the ones affected because they lack enough knowledge and have much great interest in earning free cryptocurrency after getting started and through this they get hooked by scamers easily.

• +2 2

Wonderful and a very comprehensive post, this should be pinned to to the section. I am not so much interested in Airdrops, I check on my reliable sources to confirm any airdrop before putting in for it and I avoid airdrop with KYCs, it has been the ways of the scammers nowadays so I lost interest in it, there is not even legit ones beforehand.

• +1 1

My Altcointalks username —° Raqeebzy

All the big traders say that airdrops have become a clear method of fraud and it seems to have been exposed and with the passage of time people give up on this experience I hope the community will get rid of these because they are promoting fake codes only in order to obtain the deposit and then they close the project and steal the money

• +1 1
  • +2 1

BetFury                                                   

🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹

Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                 

To be safe from any tricks of scammers which can even be new or old, new comers should learn about how scammers lure victims to fall for their tricks like doubler sites or fake cloud mining or malware installations that must all be avoided. 

Edited by BitcryptoHan
  • +3 1

9 hours ago, BitcryptoHan said:

To be safe from any tricks of scammers which can even be new or old, new comers should learn about how scammers puts vitamins to fall for their tricks like doubler sites or fake cloud mining or malware installations that must all be avoided. 

But mate, the tricks that I have discussed in the above topic, not only newcomers, even there is equal chances of falling existing players into such traps of scammers. As you have said, always have to be very careful and stay alert. 

• +2 1

6 hours ago, Whited35 said:

But mate, the tricks that I have discussed in the above topic, not only newcomers, even there is equal chances of falling existing players into such traps of scammers. As you have said, always have to be very careful and stay alert. 

Yes, you are right, anyone can fall into scammers tricks, we need essentials info and ways to always just avoiding them. Why I talked more about newbies is because they are the ones that mostly fall into these scam tricks but anyone can be scammers. 

Very well detailed explanation. It is very important for all of us to know how these scammers make us fool and traps us to steal our money. My only suggestion is that never pay any amount first if any platform or airport asked you to do so. It's the easiest way to spot a scam project and don't expose yourself to hackers by giving them your personal information.

• +3 1

On 6/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, BitcryptoHan said:

Why I talked more about newbies is because they are the ones that mostly fall into these scam tricks but anyone can be scammers. 

@BitcryptoHanWell, most of newbies fall into such trap due to overconfidence without any sort of experiences. I have detected another scamming tricks too which is widely discussed now in the crypto community, kindly wait for the next article mate I am currently working into it to let this cryptotalk community to know.

• +3 1

On 6/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, Whited35 said:

@BitcryptoHanWell, most of newbies fall into such trap due to overconfidence without any sort of experiences. I have detected another scamming tricks too which is widely discussed now in the crypto community, kindly wait for the next article mate I am currently working into it to let this cryptotalk community to know.

Okay, we will wait for your new articles but still I know that newbies are still the ones falling for such scam because they have no or little knowledge about cryptocurrencies and crypto scam. 

Edited by BitcryptoHan
  • +1 1

This is a really good post. Fraud operations have become widespread and beginners are the people most vulnerable to fraud because their experience in this field is scarce, so they should advise them to avoid access to untrusted sites and applications so that they are not deceived.

This is really scam awareness topic mate you mention points really happens and so many members loss their funds and time in this scam airdrops, I alm also experience this type scam airdrop I think two months back one big exchange launch one airdrop, iam also claim this airdrop and received coins also, then latter the exchange email me any says this coins not list our exchange, you immediately pay 0.05 ETH fees and withdrawl your coins, but I can't pay anything and leave the exchange and our cryptotalk members also suggests don't pay fees.

• +4 1

25 minutes ago, Honny143 said:

then latter the exchange email me any says this coins not list our exchange, you immediately pay 0.05 ETH fees and withdrawl your coins, but I can't pay anything and leave the exchange and our cryptotalk members also suggests don't pay fees.

@Honny143 You have taken right decision at the right time. I have performed several depth researches before writing this tutorial. I am also creating another tutorial to reveal scammers trick to cheat users by using malicious app or extensions. Stay upto date with us. In the case of any suspicious claims or payment requests from any projects, you might ask question in our cryptotalk community for help. 

• +3 1

On 7/11/2020 at 11:55 AM, CryptoSkye said:

now ain't this an elaborate explanation. I have been reading for awhile to see how to avoid such scammers and some other stuffs regarding topics like this. thank you for lending your time and sharing this info.

Scammers can be avoided, only we should just learn more about cryptocurrencies  and avoid malware, scammers and hackers. 

But, using cryptocurrencies  do not make use anonymous but privacy is what we care more about. 

• +1 3

3 hours ago, EmiKanNi said:

You can not be anonymous while using bitcoin or cryptocurrencies, creating wallet can make you anonymous but ones you send or receive transactions, you are not anonymous. 

Have you got the crux of matter what this tutorial is addressing 😊? Personal information still will not be public when you use Bitcoin wallet. Well, wallet balance and transferred amounts can be seen but in the true sense of understanding, your no personal information like name, address,etc will be public. Honestly, I am trying to save users from scammers and their trap by not letting them to leak sensitive information to the scammers.

2 hours ago, Manomano said:

I'm greatful for this important data that will undoubtedly assist numerous with knowing a portion of the strategies utilized by scamers and along these lines they will avoid them

I have performed a long research before creating this topic. An essence to create this topic is to prevent scammers and to protect newbies who are overconfident to collect free coins( Most of them are useless no matter, they are listed on the exchange sites or not)  from the fake airdrop programs. 

Yes you are right we must stay tuned with the latest analysis and news in order to avoid from these culprits. They just collect the data to misuse or sell to someone.

• +1 1

8 hours ago, Mehar446 said:

Yes you are right we must stay tuned with the latest analysis and news in order to avoid from these culprits. They just collect the data to misuse or sell to someone.

Still there are many that keep senting their documents without caring. I guess they think they might have nothing to lose right now, but they don't think of the future. Cryptocurrencies may be lucrative for some people and they make become targets of scammers if they do not take care of their privacy.

• +2 1

Actually I have joined in some AirDrop which behave as same as you have mentioned. But I have joined through the temporary email address and never sent any amount to get their bad tokens. And they were acting just like you said launching round 2, asking users to deposit eth to get their tokens, asking gas fee for sending their tokens. And the worst thing is that they made promises like if you pay gas fee we will use our funds to get listed in better exchanges. I have suspected them earlier and it's confirmed now.

• +1 1
  • +2 1
  • +3 1

NOTHING I SAY IS FINANCIAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD USE YOUR MIND ,FOR YOUR MONEY,

On 8/31/2020 at 1:00 PM, Ridam said:

Actually I have joined in some AirDrop which behave as same as you have mentioned. But I have joined through the temporary email address and never sent any amount to get their bad tokens. And they were acting just like you said launching round 2, asking users to deposit eth to get their tokens, asking gas fee for sending their tokens. And the worst thing is that they made promises like if you pay gas fee we will use our funds to get listed in better exchanges. I have suspected them earlier and it's confirmed now.

Not only you have experienced such before, they call it VIP fee, to be paid in ether. If paid, all your money given them gone. I was supposed to have fall victim before, but thanks to this forum for their useful information. 

With what I have known now, the best way to be safe is to never believe strangers, especially on Sofia media like telegram. Also YouTube and many other channels like that can be a scam. Also, we should be able to protect yourself from malware like keyloggers. With these, I think we can protect ourselves from scammers. 

• +1 1
  • +2 1
  • +4 1

On 8/31/2020 at 5:45 PM, Ridam said:

I have suspected them earlier and it's confirmed now.

Now scammers have found another techniques i.e. recommending users to install malware infected browser extensions by showing some attractive offers. Once user install such extension then malware starts to work for cryptojacking purpose. 

• +1 1
  • +3 1
  • +5 1